Weed burner

Hmmm....mine is a little different and doesn't have the trigger. Does the knob on top turn to control the flow at all? What about only cracking open the tank?

I agree with the jet engine sound - mine is supposed to burn around 500,000 btu. Usually starts a fire in whatever I point it at. :twisted:

I don't use one on mine. The only problem is with the new tanks I had to adjust the valve to get a good flow of fuel.

Hey Phil,

I think we can use that to crisp up the skin on the chicken thighs right before turnin.

Steve

Turbo blast trigger?? Oh YEAH! I'm flipping that page to mama as a Christmas gift idea. :)

Arlin_MacRae said:
Turbo blast trigger?? Oh YEAH! I'm flipping that page to mama as a Christmas gift idea. :)

It was like $17 in the store

Seen those for lighting the fires in the firebox and some use it for cleaning the pit too. Does a great job preheating, and it makes so much noise ya get to pretend your flying an f14 on afterburner. :twisted:

Smoker said:
Hey Phil,

I think we can use that to crisp up the skin on the chicken thighs right before turnin.

Steve
Why not just inject with liquid smoke and then use the weedburner on the chix? No need to use the smoker at all:roll:

I've got that model brush burner - I almost never use the trigger. I just turn up the flame with the control knob, but then I usually don't adjust the gas at the bottle either. I use the burner to clean the grates and occassionally to preheat my cooker (I have a custom sized burner for that).

I don't use the brush burner often but it was well worth the few buck.

A couple of guys have mentioned using the tank valve to control LP flow.

I was taught that gas valves "sealed" in the full "CLOSED" or full "OPEN" position. Partial opening has a slight chance of leaking, cause that is not how they were designed.
So, I never try to use them as a pressure regulator (actually a flow limiter), but use a real regulator for that.
Chicken me
mad.gif

Just a thought.

TIM

I got one like that.It does work great for preheatin the pit.I don't use a regulator.The knob on top of the burner works as the regulator.I think I wasted a whole tank of propane when I first got the burner kickin' in the afterburner and just playin around(pyro mod).:grin:

p.s.- Can't use it to crisp chicken skin cause that's using a illegal heat source. :grin:

Willy T.

Smoker said:
Hey Phil,

Steve

It does a fine job of crisping the skin on your fingers. Not that I've ever done that!

BBQchef33 said:
Seen those for lighting the fires in the firebox and some use it for cleaning the pit too. Does a great job preheating, and it makes so much noise ya get to pretend your flying an f14 on afterburner. :twisted:

I'll second that. I saw a guy on the Food channel lighting up a big smoker/cooker with one of those things. Cats ass of lighters without a doubt.

I just got one from Northern Tool, and its the cat's @ss!! I just use the little valve on the handle to control pressure. So far, I haven't seen anything better for lighting the fire pit, smoker, or my buddy's cigar! Sometime, I need to try it on weeds!

nmayeux said:
I just got one from Northern Tool, and its the cat's @ss!! I just use the little valve on the handle to control pressure. So far, I haven't seen anything better for lighting the fire pit, smoker, or my buddy's cigar! Sometime, I need to try it on weeds!

I asked the wife for a new cigar lighter too. Hell, I think we can combine the two!

Arlin_MacRae said:
I asked the wife for a new cigar lighter too. Hell, I think we can combine the two!
It's wind-resistant as well.

Instead of using a weed burner, does anyone know of a propane starter kit that can be added to a smoker?

kapndsl said:
A couple of guys have mentioned using the tank valve to control LP flow.

I was taught that gas valves "sealed" in the full "CLOSED" or full "OPEN" position. Partial opening has a slight chance of leaking, cause that is not how they were designed.
So, I never try to use them as a pressure regulator (actually a flow limiter), but use a real regulator for that.
Chicken me
mad.gif

Just a thought.

TIM

Tim could not be more correct. The tank valves are designed to be open or closed. When I worked in R&D for Baxter Healthcare we had people try to do the same with compressed gas cylinders, not only would the valves leak, the valve would "migrate" and change the gas flow dramatically and unexpectedly.

Don't feel like a chicken, using a real regulator is smart.

Sawdustguy said:
Instead of using a weed burner, does anyone know of a propane starter kit that can be added to a smoker?

New braunfels has a small one they call the diamond igniter. it a small torch fired off a small 2lb tank.

i used to use a ring buner and slide it under the firegrate, now I find it just as easy to start som ekingsford in a chinmey and go from that.

Back