logo
Strange things happen at Brethren Bashes and today's San Francisco Bay Area Bash was no exception. We had an amazing Klose smoker at our disposal courtesy of PhatMatts BBQ so we decided to Go Big or Go Home. The goal - make a long sausage and the bun to match. The Team that made this creation calls themselves "The West Coast Crew and BigButz Too".

The architect of the bun (literally) was Landarc. Many have already heard about his early FOOOOOMPH! misadventure while preparing the dough Starter.
PA210336.jpg

On the meat side, Smokejumper called his butcher down the hill and two hours later BigButz and Smokejumper picked up 9 feet of swinging meat.
9feetofsausage.jpg

Landarc, who is an architect and should be particularly good with measurements, made 2 "four and a half foot" buns to cover the monster sausage. They were put on the smoker.
Bakedbreadonthecooker.jpg

Phatmatt and Smokejumper fed the mighty sausage onto the Klose with gentle turns in hope to make the sausage straight again without a casing explosion.
Sausagecomplete.jpg

The sausage and a second "four and a half foot" bun finished up and ready to pull of the smoker.
Sausageonsmoker.jpg

Landarc realizes that his bun measurements were a bit (couple of feet) short. But in his defense, the sausage might of been "handled" a bit too much and may have been eleven feet instead of nine. In good humor OldSmoke, zydecopaws, landarc, and Smokejumper assemble the creation and lardarc marvels in its awesomeness.
IMG_6575.jpg

IMG_6578.jpg

Landarcandsandwich.jpg

BigButz has his own interpretation of what this throwdown entry is all about. Throwdown Shot!
BigButzandSausage-1.jpg

Last edited:
That last picture is kind of scary...it's the kind that ends up on The Tonight Show with
Jay Leno, or Jimmy Kimmel Live. But it is Halloween....so maybe it's just right.

Last edited:
Wow! That is one major sausage right there! It's missing mustard and sauerkraut though. It looked kinda shriveled up too. I guess it WAS raining...

Looks delicious...Are we calling that bread?? :confused:
Brownies fall under Quick Bread, made using the Creaming method. It is as much a bread as any other Quick Bread. Would Biscuits count?

Sure, it's a grey area I admit. If the voters feel it's not a bread, they can say so by not voting for it. Although, even if they did think it was bread, they would probably still not vote for it.:becky:

Brownies fall under Quick Bread, made using the Creaming method. It is as much a bread as any other Quick Bread. Would Biscuits count?

Sure, it's a grey area I admit. If the voters feel it's not a bread, they can say so by not voting for it. Although, even if they did think it was bread, they would probably still not vote for it.:becky:

merci buckets for the explanation..they look great...:thumb:

Actually, I suppose a good way to consider how brownies can be argued to be bread are that they are somewhere between Cornbread and Pita Bread...only it is sweet and with Cocoa in it.

Actually, I suppose a good way to consider how brownies can be argued to be bread are that they are somewhere between Cornbread and Pita Bread...only it is sweet and with Cocoa in it.

Breads are usually made with yeast or some are say unleavened flatbreads, using flour, salt and water. However browies and quick breads such as banana bread and the like use baking powder or soda for leavening and are more cake like than bread. Regardless I like brownies too..:doh: :confused: :thumb:

Pulled Pork Sticky Buns

When I started thinking about this week’s throwdown, the first thing I thought of was Asian pork buns, which I had tried to make one time before. The dough didn’t turn out right that time. So I spent some time on the internet looking at various bread dough recipes. I happened on some cinnamon roll recipes and started thinking…

How about I make Pulled Pork Sticky Buns!!!

I started with a Brioche Dough (bread dough fortified with eggs and fat -- for this one I choose rendered pork fat instead of the traditional butter). I used some leftover spareribs and trimmings: heated up until I could shred it. I included a layer of slightly caramelized onions and BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays). I also added some thick dices of bacon.
PorkBuns03.jpg

I rolled it up and divided it into buns.
PorkBuns04.jpg

I got it into a baking pan while I fired up the Weber Kettle.
PorkBuns05.jpg

Halfway through the cooking, I brushed the top with more Sweet Baby Rays and dusted it with brown sugar and added the rest of the bacon cubes. Here it is as I pull it of the grill. This is my favorite picture so I’ll make it my entry.
PorkBuns06.jpg

Here is the close up of the tasting plate. It was very sticky and tasty too. After a couple of bites I decided it need a bit of hot sauce to go with the sweet sticky goodness, but I didn’t take any more pictures… My hands were too sticky!
PorkBuns07.jpg

Thanks for looking! Can't wait to see the rest of the entries!

still trying to figure out how I'm gonna do bread ..It will come to me after a few beers

Back