BBQ Brethren "Cheesesteak - The Philly Way" Throwdown!

You laugh, but it really is all about the roll...
I worked in a sub shop while in High School, and was always told it was because of the water in the area... not sure, cause the water in Philly isn't all that great, but - there is something about the roll.

Isn't that exactly what they say about New York pizza?

"Cheesesteak - The Mongo Way"

This is my official entry into "Cheesesteak - The Philly Way" but it's more like "Cheesesteak - The Mongo Way"... :heh:

Now I've had Cheesesteak twice in Philly, and I get it's all about the bread. Since it's next to impossible to get authentic bread if you don't live there, I figured I'd make my own. It's probably the only chance I have at not scoring a zero. :shocked: I started searching the internets until I found a recipe I thought looked authentic enough. It's a pretty basic bread recipe with the addition of heavy gluten flour (sorry Kathy)...:tsk:
edit_preview.php

I prefer my cheesesteak wit peppers, onion, shrooms...
edit_preview.php

and ribeye steak.
edit_preview.php

Back to making the bread. Water, bugs (yeast), oil, sugar and salt.
edit_preview.php

Mixed the dry into the wet in the Kitchenaid, formed into a ball and proofed.
edit_preview.php

After a short rise, divided up into thirds and set to proof again.
edit_preview.php

After a quick proof, time to roll them out to loaf shapes.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

While they were rising, time to cut up the veg matter.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

While all this was going on, I had put the steak in the freezer for about an hour to firm up to slice. Much easier this way, but this is where it turns into a Mongo sammie.
edit_preview.php

While the slicing was going on, the loaves turned into blonde nuclear attack submarines. :twitch:
edit_preview.php

And split seconds later thanks to the magic of the internets, they are done. :becky:
edit_preview.php

Now that the bread it done and resting peacefully, back to the construction project. Sweet onions and garlic.
edit_preview.php

Toss in the shrooms.
edit_preview.php

And a chit load of sweet bell peppers just for Buccs. :tongue:
edit_preview.php

While all this was cooking up nicely, I threw the garlic/salted/peppered ribeye on the portable CI flat top.
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Can't forget the provolone.
edit_preview.php

And on to the finished Mongo (literally) Cheesesteak Sammich. :biggrin1:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Try as I might, I could only eat half of this giant behemoth... :hand: Here's what I'll have for tomorrow's lunch.
edit_preview.php

Not sure what pic to use as the money shot but I'm thinking the one above. I'm open to suggestions. I must say that while I'm not sure if the bread was authentic, it was farkin' good. It held up like it should have under the weight of the beef, cheese, pepper, onions and shroom plus it tasted fantastic. If anyone wants the recipe, just shoot me a PM. If I had anything to do over, I would have sliced the beef "wafer" thin but besides that if I really enjoyed my Mongo Cheesesteak.

Thanks for looking. :becky:

BTW, I'm sick of proof reading this for mistakes so please cut me some slack if I hosed anything up. :oops:

I'm sorry. That sandwich hasn't been dipped in jus. NOT messy enough.

I'll, um, have three.

Great looking Mongo cheesesteak :hungry:. I'd make a money shot suggestion but I really thing Gore should choose for you. :becky:

Awesome, Mongo! I'd hit that!

Too bad I became a vegetarian last week. :mad:

Fine lookin' cheesesteak-if that ain't the way they like 'em in Phillie, than that's their own durn fault. :biggrin1:

Very nice! Did you put anything else on besides the veggies and cheese? Mayo, ketchup??

Wow Al, took about 10 minutes for the hotel internet to load the pics. Where is the cream cheese? :noidea:

Got me some Ribeye... I never buy ribeye! Now I gotta bake me some bread UGGH...

Edit... Umm sourdough tooo??? Is that true you Philly Pharkers??? Are the rolls "sourdough" rolls or not. Please help a brudder out!

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Ain't ribeye bro!
Pleeeeease don't waste a ribeye, please!:tsk:
Google hoagie roll recipes!

Where is the cream cheese? :noidea:

Tried to stop by your house to pick up the two pound block but no one answered the door... When I peeked in the window, I could see e and the girls hiding behind the couch. :tsk:

Umm sourdough tooo??? Is that true you Philly Pharkers??? Are the rolls "sourdough" rolls or not.

Those weren't sourdough rolls...:hand:

Ain't ribeye bro!
Pleeeeease don't waste a ribeye, please!:tsk:

Ain't ribeye? Do you mean you don't use one for authentic cheesesteak or that wasn't a ribeye? That was definitely a ribeye cut from the small end and ribeye is definitely authentic to the sammie...:boxing: :becky:

Back