New Bacon Project - 3 ways

HarleyDiva

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The belly:
IMG_0157_zpsf8080297.jpg
]\

Just cut it into 3 pieces, and put three different cures on the bacon....

IMG_0160_zps2c368e71.jpg

Per pound:

1 T Moton's Tenderquick
1 t Brown sugar
1 t Garlic powder
1 t Crushed black pepper
1 t Fenugreek
1 Bay leaf

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

#2 Rulhman's recipe, no thyme, local honey sweetener,

#3 Same as #1, except raw sugar instead of brown sugar, 1/2 white pepper, 1/2 red pepper substituted for black pepper

Nice, can't wait to see the results. How long is it going to cure.

It will cure at least 7 days....planning on smoking it next Sat or Sun.

I use tq to cure alot. But it is a salty cure. Have to soak in water before smoking.

After soaking do you then re-apply pepper on the bacon before smoking ??

me neither

Fenugreek? Interesting, never considered using it on cured meat

I don't think I have ever used fenugreek for anything.....but lots of folks swear by this recipe for either slab bacon or Canadian bacon. I only used it in batch #1....so should be able to tell what influence it has.

My first try at bacon didn't have as much smoke as I was looking for. Smoked it on Primo Kamado at 250...it hit 150 degrees internal temp in only 2 hours. This time, I'm thinking of hauling the Little Chief cold smoker out of the shed (I had forgotten I even had it), and smoking in that for an hour or two, then move to the Primo for the finish if needed.

Has anyone tried smoking the bacon on just a Little Chief electric smoker. I have read that the chief is probably around 180 in normal weather.....assume it would lower this time of year. Would it be better to throw them in the chief for a couple of hours, then go to the kamado around 200 to finish????

Looks and sounds great!
I usually cold smoke bacon under 85F.
Looking forward to your finished pics!

When you cold smoke.....how do you know when they are done?

Last edited:
I cold smoke under 60F (true cold smoking - the generator I use gives off no heat) for a minimum of 12 hours for bacon. When they're done depends on smoke wood, smoke density etc

Update on the bacon project.....

Took them out the cure Saturday afternoon, after 7.5 days. Here is what they looked like after rinse and soak for 4 hours:
IMG_0176_zps1a4f826e.jpg

Into the fridge to dry on racks for about 16 hours.... I cold smoked them on the Big Chief with hickory for 3 hours, then finished off on the kamado around 200 degrees for an hour and a half with hickory and cherry.
IMG_0181_zps54b41168.jpg

Now they are in the fridge to cool for slicing tomorrow. I cut a little pice of meat off the edge of #3, with the white/red pepper.....it had quite the kick!

Back