Foil vs No Foil - The Test

AD18

Knows what a fatty is.
So I had a couple of racks of back ribs needing to get used up. I've always been a no foil q'er and decided to give it a whirl with a head to head test. Loaded up both racks with Plowboys Yardbird. Decided to run the 3-2-1 method. Both racks on for 3 hours on Egg with big chunk of hickory running at 225-230 degrees. After 3 hours one rack into foil with apple juice and brown sugar top and bottom. Back on to Egg. Non foil rack got a good basting of just apple juice. Both looked reeeeeal good at 3 hours. Since the racks were a bit on the small side I went about 1.5 hours with the foil. Removed the foil and both racks still looked exceptionally good. Grabbed the foiled ribs and bang......it broke in two. Guess they were done:p Other rack had a good bend, but not quite done. Gave them both another 20 minutes, sauced with Canadian Club smoked honey sauce, and let go another 15 minutes. Off the Egg, tented with foil, and rested 15 minutes. Carved them up and then "tested". Have to say the foiled ones were very good. Both racks were done, each had a distinct texture and mild flavour difference. In the end we gave the foiled ones a wee bit of an advantage in overall quality, but just barely. I'll definetly try again, but maybe go with a 3-1-1 or 2-1-1. Never thought I'd use a Texas Crutch, but glad I tried. Learned something.

Was reading Chris Liley's book this weekend, and he says there's one consideration:

Foil will speed up your cook, but sometimes at a price. The excess moisture can wash away some of your smoke and seasonings.

I'm glad you ran a head-to-head. Often times we debate here with experience in only one technique, or the two techniques but not at the same time... Good job and glad you enjoyed the results.

Thanks for sharing. It is something I got on my list to try out also. Do you think you're preference was based on the tenderness & moisture of the ribs or the added sweetness from the added brown sugar? I like ribs without sauce and more savory ribs than sweet, so this would probably influence me with your test.

You must have been cooking at low temperatures, because at those temps I was expecting even the non-foiled ribs to be falling off the bone. 3-2-1 is typically for spares, which take longer than babybacks and I've read lots of people say 2 hours in foil is too long for that. Lots will depend on your cooker, temps, and meat.

Thanks!

3-2-1 is a guideline that was developed for untrimmed spares at 225. It will produce overcooked loin backs. 2-2-1 is closer for loin backs.

All in all the two racks were not really a whole lot different. I got what I was sort of expecting with a couple of suprises. The foiled rack was marginally moister and indeed had a slightly sweeter taste due to the brown sugar I presume. I was a little suprised when they came out of the foil how good the bark was. I was sort of expecting a duller sheen due to "steaming" of the apple juice. The non foiled ribs were still VERY good, but the meat was a little firmer and maybe a little less stringy so to speak. Both had nice external bark and coloration prior to saucing. I would have servered either style to friends or family without hesitation. I followed the 3-2-1 as a guideline because of earlier posts. I usually do my back ribs for about 4-5 hours tops at 230, but again in other posts a lot suggested 6. I guess I was testing more things than just foil vs non foil in hindsight. Looking back my only wish was I had two racks that were more closely matched in size, shape, and density to have a better test. I learned quite a bit and I'm glad I did it. Guess I'll just have to get another couple of racks and do some more "testing":thumb:

Last edited:
When I use foil I foil for no more than an hour and I get a nice manicured pullback. And in general, I only foil when I'm really pressed for time which is often when people arrive early and ask me 'how much longer for the ribs to get done?'.

I'm an unashamed foil fan. On BB's I usually do 2 hrs on grate, 1 hr in foil and back on until done. Keeps them from becoming too fall aparty. I spray the ribs heavy with a mix of AJ/Cider Vinegar and sprinkle on a little bit more rub when they go into foil. I haven't heard anyone complain yet. :-D

Oh, and I cook them a little hotter 250-275

I use foil, but only because it speeds up the process.

In my Gater St. Louis Spares I run 2.5 + 45min + (Sauce and set ~10mins) and find they come out great each time. Running 250-275 temp wise. I'm slowing cutting back the time as I find they are done when I unfoil them.

Gonna give 2hr + 1hr(Foil) + 10mins(to set sauce) on my next cook a try.

All in all the two racks were not really a whole lot different. I got what I was sort of expecting with a couple of suprises. The foiled rack was marginally moister and indeed had a slightly sweeter taste due to the brown sugar I presume. I was a little suprised when they came out of the foil how good the bark was. I was sort of expecting a duller sheen due to "steaming" of the apple juice. The non foiled ribs were still VERY good, but the meat was a little firmer and maybe a little less stringy so to speak. Both had nice external bark and coloration prior to saucing. I would have servered either style to friends or family without hesitation. I followed the 3-2-1 as a guideline because of earlier posts. I usually do my back ribs for about 4-5 hours tops at 230, but again in other posts a lot suggested 6. I guess I was testing more things than just foil vs non foil in hindsight. Looking back my only wish was I had two racks that were more closely matched in size, shape, and density to have a better test. I learned quite a bit and I'm glad I did it. Guess I'll just have to get another couple of racks and do some more "testing":thumb:

AD18, you hit the nail on the head, i foil my ribs all the time, the trick is forget the pre-foil time, foil the ribs when you like the bark the ribs have. A lot of cooks complain about no bark when foiling, the problem is they are foiling to early.

Ive only done spares and when i do, I use the 3-2-1 method. I am still trying to perfect the foiling part. the ribs usually end up overcooked after foiling.
I'll be cooking some this weekend for my sons Bday. My plan is to keep the temps around 225-230 and wrap after three hours or when there is a good bark. Now I will probably cut the foil time to 1.5 and try a trick I read about where you unfoil the ribs and let them set for fifteen minutes. This is supposed to cause the meat to set back up around the bone. I've never done this before so if anyone knows any different and think its a bad idea, let me know. Then i will put them back on for saucing. I will let you know how they turn out and hopefully post some pics.

I also use foil mainly because I feel like I can control moisture better. With that said, I started with 3-2-1 and have kept getting shorter times every year.

Back