How much sauce?

ipls3355

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How much sauce do you use in your pulled pork? I always put the sauce on the side and add it to each sammy, but someone asked me how much to make when mixing it in the meat before.

Ehh. I always put it on the side. Sometimes its better with no sauce. Many guys here put a vinegar based sauce as well. That u dont put much at all

I don't pre sauce, but if I did, it would be very light - just enough to moisten it and make it glisten.

Pork drowned in sauce is a sign of poorly cooked pork or pork that has been sitting around way too long.

I put just a little to shine it up, then serve sauce on the side. Too much sauce is...um....NOT good.

^^^ like they guys said, none. I have sauceS on the side for the different sauce lovers. I'll usually have one or two variations on the NC vinegar sauces, a SC mustard style, and then a few variants of a KC gone Memphis sauce. One day I'll get some of that Alabama white sauce too....

Necked also. If someone asks for sauce I take it as an insult. Although no one up here knows what real Q is:(

I mix defatted pan drippings with a little E Carolina sauce and add enough back to make the pork shine.

wait....so you're supposed to put sauce on your Q. All these years I've been doing it wrong...:tsk:

Being serious, I want to die when I see people drowning my Q in sauce. I try to explain, but its often too much work:mad2:

On the side, in jars, with an appropriate spoon for the portion people will need.

I learned this the hard way when my mom nearly choked to death after loading up a sandwich with vinegar and cayenne sauce straight out of a squeezie-bottle.

Sauce is always on the side here at my house. Most of my BBQ loving friends don't use it. They just enjoy the meat.

i usually do a pan with NC style vinegar sauce cuz it goes over well...just enough to make it glisten and a second pan plain. 3 sauces on side - nc vinegar sauce, mustard sauce and bbq sauce

I always toss it with a light coating of Blues Hog Tennessee Red, then have a jar of that along with a jar of a KC-style variant for people if they want it. Most folks don't partake.

I've always found that vinegar-based sauce works best 'cos it cuts through the sweetness of the pork and the run. Each to their own taste though...

Seriously though, I never "sauce" the pulled pork. I do drizzle a little vinegar/cayenne mixture into the meat once pulled sometimes, and sometimes just do that after the sandwich is made.

Back