Seeminly dumb Burnt End Question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Okay, it's okay to laugh at me, 'cause even I think this ? is kinda dumb.

But...when it comes to burnt ends in competiton, what are judges looking for in appearance, taste, texture?

I tried some today - again - now granted, I've never had burnt ends that were not "burnt ends", but I have read about them here.

Mine came out looking very dark - with a spicy/sweet flavor - appearance wise, they do look burnt. I'm trying to get some pix soon.

They bite through really nicely - favor is not great, but I don't like a lot of sweet in my foods - but my wife likes them...

I just don't know...

HELP, PLEASE!!!!

Thanks.

Pix as soon as my wife finishes with the camera...maybe tomorrow...

First word of the title should be, "Seemingly," BTW

sweet isn't a bad thing, but they must be uber tender, and no fat pockets in them.

I wouldn't turn in dark burnt ends myself.

i think burnt ends in addition to tenderness should be about the carmelization and concentration of the flavors involved in the rub and sauces that you are using evenly over the entire surface area of the cube of point. i try to go for one inch squares.

what sled said. melt in your mouth, and i mean MELT. it can be done.

not "burnt" at all, really.

very beefy/savory with a sweet undertone note.

i've only nailed the melt in your mouth once, but if you practice it, and you hit it, you'll know without question, what the goal is.

For most comps they are a simple bonus for the judge. I do two hours in sauce in a pan til tacky. I like the molassess effect of the sugar reduction.

For most comps they are a simple bonus for the judge. I do two hours in sauce in a pan til tacky. I like the molassess effect of the sugar reduction.

i strongly disagree with brushing them off as a simple "bonus".

they can sway your score significantly depending on how a particular judge performs their scoring.

2 hours in a pan is a good process.

80% of "melt in your mouth" burnt end is due to the meat itself. So there's a bit of luch there.

When you include burnt ends in your entry box you are taking a gamble. About 30-40% of the turn-in boxes I see have them. Judging methodology when there are two components of the same meat is cloudy. Most judges will take and sample both, but what and how they score is up to them. There's good advice in this thread about what a good burnt end is. My advice is don't include the burnt ends unless they are excellent. If, in the opinion of thecook, the burnt ends aren't a potential 8 or 9, don't include them.

^^^ I tend to agree. When multiple items are included. People tend to focus/score on the worst item. Since these things are subjective to some extent, it seems best to leave out multiple items.

If its in the box the assumption is you want it judged..if you dont then leave it out

The the burnt ends ain't really good, they are gonna hurt your score rather than help it.... IMHO

Judges will combine scores of multiple cuts of the same meat in a box. So, if your slices are a 9 and your burnt ends are a 7, you will get an 8 and vice versa. You should only include in your box, meat you are really proud of.

That said, burnt ends tend to be a bit of a regional thing. In many places it is just expected that a team turn them in, and in others the judges will not really care if they aren't there.

I feel, that when cooked right, they will only enhance the score of well cooked slices, but I don't hesitate to leave them on the table when they aren't "on". Always make more than you need for the box so you can try them yourself before boxing.

Once in the hands of the judges you get mediocrity and confusion.... when will we ever learn? The judges get way too much attention, I think that they think this is more about them than it is about the folks doing the cooking. Unfortunately it takes both cooks and judges to have a competition... I like the way IBCA does it over KCBS trained judges....that comes off as an oxymoron....

Back