Mini UDS/WSM Throw together

mine are both 15 gallon drums. The most I ever got was 6 hours of run time without adding hot coals. How were your coals set up? Brand of coals? I'll try the can idea over the vent.

Any modifications needed to fit it with the 15 gallon drum? I know some pots need some massaging to work

Make sure to beef up the legs as the weight of the drum with meat loaded can get quite heavy and unstable with the tall drum. I don't trust the stock SJ legs, too much movement.
Those replacement legs were bent from 1" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock.

My 16-gallon drum body is currently not set up with cooking grates. I've been using this setup just to hang ribs, with 1 cross rod running at the top. I hung 5 racks of ribs on my last cook and only required 1 chimney full of briquettes.
For other cooks I use the tamale pot on the same SJ instead of the drum.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

I cut the bottom 6-8" off and grind the edge so it fits nice and tight into the smokey joe bottom. The lid fits super tight. Careful after grinding as the edge gets so thin it is real sharp.

I cut the bottom of the 15 gallon drum off about an inch below the bottom ring and it fit very nice in the Smokey Joe base. I added the latches to give me peace of mind that the drum would stay upright when checking the meat. :wink:

I did not paint the inside just cleaned it up nicely.

The last smoke I did on it, I used lump coal and it stayed at 260° for 8+ hours. I pulled the pork off at 7.5 hours. I didn't have to move the vents or tap off the coals once. Very pleased. :grin:

Back