Chokecherry wood?

Ceedubya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used Chokecherry wood? I assume it will be fine, as it is a relative of the cherry tree. my concern is that they are so bitter and dry, I didnt' know if has any effect on the wood.

My parents live on a large ranch in southern Montana, and have an abundance of apple, wild chokecherry, and wild plum. And by abundance, I mean they are EVERYWHERE!

I have been making good use of the apple trees over the past few years. My dad cuts them up and saves them for me. Although, since we bought mom a chargriller, I have been getting less :doh:

But, I havn't yet tried the chokecherry or plum. I plan on making a trip this fall to pick some of the chokecherries and plums, so I plan on bringing back some wood too.

I can't answer your question but my parents live outside of Stevensville MT and my father has been making chokecherry wine while my mom makes chokecherry syrup. It seems to be more of a regional flavor because I've never seen anything bottled as chokecherry here in SoCal.

CW...I don't have any experience with that wood, but I was just reading about chokecherry yesterday. Here is what I found...

Chokecherry has a bitter flavor and should only be used in small amounts for short period of times.

Best Cherry wood ever! Get as much as you can! :thumb:

Not that it matters, but I use crabapple all of the time since that's about all that's available.

Thanks for all the replies, since I am going to be cutting so much apple and plum wood anyways, I might as well give the chokecherry a try!

I can't answer your question but my parents live outside of Stevensville MT and my father has been making chokecherry wine while my mom makes chokecherry syrup. It seems to be more of a regional flavor because I've never seen anything bottled as chokecherry here in SoCal.

I love the whole Bitteroot valley, and especially Stevensville. We will be heading over in August for the Creamery Picnic and BBQ competition. We have competed in that one for 4 or the past 5 years. In fact, thats the comp that got us started!

I havn't had chokecherry wine, or syrup for that matter, for years. My mom used to can a ton of syrup and jelly.

We have tree here in Texas called Choke Cherry. Adds a very nice and distinct cherry note to the meat but turns it black as coal. The flavor reminds me of Beechnut Cherry chewing gum.

Back