First Comp Question

MoGreen

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So, the BIL and me have decided to enter our first comp in April up in Winchester, TN. He's taking the lead on brisket and ribs and I'm in charge of pork and chicken. We've decided on a team name (Rub Won Out) and we've been practicing and experimenting with our entries. My question is this: should we enter the backyard division for our first time out, or just jump in with the big dogs and really get our asses handed to us?

Do you cook the same meats for backyard? Some backyard comps only cook chicken and ribs, for example. if you are cooking all four meats then go for it! You never know what will happen!

Jump right in, other contestants will help you if you ask!

Go for it - You learn the fastest and most from the best.

Jump right in. It's hard enough getting up the nerve to compete for the first time, don't put yourself through that twice. (backyard division, and pro division)

As Moocow mentioned, plenty of people will help you out if you ask.

A word about "learning" from other teams. Depending on how the "learning" is done some of your compadres may call that shigging (stealing). So here's some thoughts on how to learn and how not to learn:

How to learn:
1. Admit up front that you are a brand new team and that you have a lot to learn. Most folks are receptive to helping out a new team who comes at this competition thing with a bit of humility (coming off my rookie year this is something I found to be true).

2. Remember #1 and remind those around you as often as possible.

How NOT to learn:

1. Hanging around and watching teams prep and cook their meat, especially if you are uninvited, is a recipe for the cold shoulder. That's shigging! In fact, if you see folks starting to prep their stuff, and they start moving into their rigs, more than likely that the time to move on.

Finally, some teams will be real generous and others will be jerks. The idea that every team that competes is full of warm fuzzies and is there for the spirit of the event is a myth. When you encounter someone who is not all that friendly, just move along. You'll run into good folks eventually. Don't take all the posturing and heaviness that some teams project as anything personal.

I agree about diving right in. You've got time to practice, and there is a ton of information out there to help. Plus, you've got the great folks here to answer questions and offer advice. Here is my advice.

John

How can you be doing this without calling me!
Jump right in is what I say.

. My question is this: should we enter the backyard division for our first time out, or just jump in with the big dogs and really get our asses handed to us?

Nothin wrong with jumping in the deep end right away :rolleyes: Of course here in Wisconsin theres no backyard to speak of so not much of a choice. Practice hard learn what you can where you can and execute.GO FOR IT

Many teams who are competing in their first comp do incredibly well. I recall that at the 2008 Modesto, CA event a team called Mar's Mobile Grill finished 1st in Pork and 1st in Brisket on their way to earning the event Reserve Grand Championship in a 48 team contest! Not a bad way to start a competition career.

You're damn right that you should be jumping in with both feet!!!

So, the BIL and me have decided to enter our first comp in April up in Winchester, TN. He's taking the lead on brisket and ribs and I'm in charge of pork and chicken. We've decided on a team name (Rub Won Out) and we've been practicing and experimenting with our entries. My question is this: should we enter the backyard division for our first time out, or just jump in with the big dogs and really get our asses handed to us?

That is a great name.

i say jump right in. that's what i"m going to do. my first comp is in april so i think i might be ready. have practiced and practiced and thought about backyard but mind was changed by a team named big o dang o that talked me into going for the big one. they were a big help to me when i went to a comp to talk with them for any questions i had :p:p

Back