Vending first festival, a few questions

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've read through the threads here, and have seen how people are coming up with total number of customers, (In my case, organizer says 5000-7500 people, so I'm using 6000, divide that by 2, and then divide that by number of vendors (6) for a total of 500 servings)

So I have potentially 500 servings. We're planning on doing PP sandwiches, PP plates, and PP nachos. How do I determine how many of each product to plan for, and how do sides figure into it?

I'd much rather sell out than bring food home.

Thanks for any help!

I'm in the same boat as you. Trying to figure it all out also for my first festival.

Your numbers are not bad.
May i suggest losing the nachos and plate and just sell sammies with a side option?
Lower food cost, less waste and a faster flowing line.

Your numbers are not bad.
May i suggest losing the nachos and plate and just sell sammies with a side option?
Lower food cost, less waste and a faster flowing line.

We had to give a menu in advance, so it's too late to change that now. Since we have the 3 main products, is there any way to figure out how many of each item to prep for, or is it as simple as dividing total number by 3?

Okay. They can not do anything if you "run out" of something. Guesstimate your nacho chips and cheese from that.

For sides I would get 4 or 5 #10 cans of Bush's beans. Open the next can when you are about half way through the last can. Add your BBQ sauce and some PP to the beans. Sams has some decent potato salad. You can dress it up with some bacon, extra pickles, or nothing at all. The key is not to serve it out of the tubs you buy it in. I like small bags of chips. I would sell them for a dollar so that they run out for sure.

If your food is good, it does not matter how much you make, it will go. If the going is too slow.... samples or more smoke in the air. Both work.

I'd say divide by 3 or maybe a little less than that. Pork is cheep so cook extra to have enough to cover all your costs. Don't forget to figure your size of bun, bigger bun will take more meat. But you don't want to go smaller than the other vendors.

great advice from all above. I've catered several large events but never a festival. Very wise choice on pulled pork. super easy to hold and keep warm and very flexible on the presentation (nachos to sammies).

I think the smartest thing said on the whole thread was by OP. "i would rather sell out than bring food home". It's a festival. It's all about making bank and not about customer service. I say go heavy on sammies on small buns and plan to run out of the fringe items early.

Good luck

and I would add that beans are a tough item to serve at a festival- Too messy. I would do finger foods only if you can. Beans are a great catering food normally because they are filling and cheap. Was only thinking of the way people eat at festivals- standing up with their hands.

I do a similar size event every fall and it runs from 11am-5pm and I go through about 30 butts, 2 briskets, 2-3 gallons of each side plus same amount of slaw. Don't know what to tell ya on the nachos except maybe have enough for 30-40 orders maybe.

Thanks for the additional tips. The good thing about the beans is that we're going to cook them one can at a time, so we'll never have too much. If they don't sell, we just won't make anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the additional tips. The good thing about the beans is that we're going to cook them one can at a time, so we'll never have too much. If they don't sell, we just won't make anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Good call. that works. Good luck! I can tell you one thing for sure, you are going to need a nap after and your feet are going to hurt like hell for about 3 days :)

Good times though

Do beans on a stick!!!!!! Just kidding, Do Plenty of pork as it freezes well for your next event. You can't make money if you run out of an item. Good Luck and hope everything turns out well.

Good call. that works. Good luck! I can tell you one thing for sure, you are going to need a nap after and your feet are going to hurt like hell for about 3 days :)

Good times though

Lucky for me, I'm just the cook. I've got other people serving! I get to sit!

An update from this weekend's vending event. This was a one day competition/festival, with sales starting at 5 and going until 11. We borrowed a concession trailer equipped with a fryer and a griddle, which we planned on using to make fries and keep the nacho cheese sauce warm.

We get there and setup, and the woman running the festival tells us we can't use the generator on the trailer because it would be too loud (even though we told them exactly what generator we had beforehand) so she let us borrow her smaller generator. The only problem was that we couldn't use the fryer, so no French fries.

Once we got into the thick of it, the griddle was waaay to hot and the cheese wasn't warming up so we decided to scratch the nachos and only sale PP sandwiches and plates. We were planning on 300 total sales, and we ended up selling just over 200. Sales were very strong for about 2 hours, then it started to rain, so things slowed down pretty quickly. Around 9, we were all out of slaw, buns, and chips for sides, so we decided to call it a day.

All in all, not a terrible day, we ended up making about $1200 profit, plus we won 2nd place ribs, people's choice pork, and grand champion for the competition (it was unsanctioned).

We'll be vending our second contest at the end of the month, so this was a great learning experience.

Great that it worked out for you.

The experience will be invaluable the next time.

TIM

Back