My first attempt at a brisket

Order an ACCUsharp knife sharpener. Cheap and easy to use. It's fantastic. I bought a kit of a knife and sheer sharpener. I smoked some turkey using Cowboy lump today. Snake method. Worked great.

So far things seem to be going alright. I spritzed apple cider vinegar at 5,6, and 7hrs, and wrapped at 7hrs. Sure smells good, the picture is of right before wrapping, do you folks think I wrapped (late, early or just right)? I can handle honesty, I'm just trying to get better. :-D

I like to wrap it a couple of hours into the stall (pink unwaxed butcher paper) . For a 16lbs to 18lbs piece (all I use is SRF black), I got it down to a science. 8 hours at 250, then wrap for another 4. It is always done in 12 hours. When I first started trying brisket a couple of years ago, I kept on stressing on the "done when its probe tender" thing. I think I've cooked about 50 briskets since, and it's always done the same when it gets between 198 to 203 in the thickest part of the flat. I don't even test tenderness until I'm there.

I first probed the brisket at the 10hr mark and it read 207f to 211f throughout the brisket, guess I overcooked a little, so I pulled it and its now resting. Smells so good, I can't wait to cut into it, I thought about eating a little corner, but I'm going to make myself wait.

Attachments

• 2020-08-04 17.52.39.jpg
    2020-08-04 17.52.39.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 78
i would not follow franklin unless you make your own sausage. look for youtube videos where they are doing a backyard bbq trim.

Good enough for a first go, next time ill dial her in better.

Were you disappointed in the results? 207-211 or whatever wouldn’t surprise me if you were cooking at 275* or more, probe texture matters more than temp.

It looks good from the pics :thumb:

I feel that the flat was a bit on the dry side, and the burnt ends were a tad over burned. Nothing was actually burned, but overdone. I have a tel true in the dome, and a dual probe that I place on the grate and under it where the probe grommet is located. I held most the time at 275f or less with a few spikes to 290f, but rare and short.

I think I will try 250f next time and wrap sooner, now that I know how I prefer it. I'm going to chop my leftovers for sandwiches, do you folks use a sauce or something to juice the mix up?

I think I will try 250f next time and wrap sooner, now that I know how I prefer it. I'm going to chop my leftovers for sandwiches, do you folks use a sauce or something to juice the mix up?

You can save the juices that is left over in the foil, defat them, and use it for your mix.

Good brisket for your first one!!

Sounds like you are off to a real good start!! What rub did you use?

The night before, I seasoned the whole brisket with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper, that was it.

Even though it wasn't a "perfectly" done brisket, I can't stop eating it, and the folks who got some are lucky, because I'm not sharing anymore! :-D

Oh, and since this is one of your first cooks, start a notebook. I know it sucks but it really will help you down the line. Also good for reminiscing. :-D

Back