Fast food brethren throwdown in progress

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I wasn’t sure what I was going to cook for the fast food brethren throwdown, until I saw a commercial the other day which sealed the deal. This will be a 2 day process to cook the beef and then turn it into my creation tomorrow.

I got a bottom round roast and trussed it with some twine to make the shape a little more uniform

Then I decided I was going to brine it in some kosher salt overnight, so I salted it, wrapped in plastic, and stuck it in the fridge

This morning I took it out of the plastic, seasoned it with Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS, and then put it on the Mak 2* on the “smoke” setting, where it stayed until the IT read 128*

Tented it under some foil for a while and then sliced into it to check doneness and sample a piece.

Perfect rare/ med rare :thumb: it was quite tasty with the brine and then SPOGOS and smoke - wrapped in plastic again and into the fridge for final transformation into my clone tomorrow :becky:

Just ran it through the slicer...a lot of cleanup work for such a small amount of meat but I couldn’t get it sliced thin uniformly with a knife

62822627.jpg

Do you have the MEATS? Better be plenty of horsey sauce if that's what it'll be...

But whatever it is, I'll have two please.

Finally got the sandwiches assembled - my take on an Arby’s French Dip. Baguette bread, Swiss cheese, spicy horseradish sauce, and some Meiner’s Au Jus. It did not suck. :clap2:

Toasted the baguettes a little first and then placed the meat on. Two slices of Swiss cheese cut into triangles, then bag into the oven under the broiler for a few minutes...didn’t want to get it too hot and take the rareness out of the beef.

Bought this stuff awhile back and forgot I had it - pretty good. Definitely got the sinuses cleared :thumb:

I bought some curly fries and cooked them in my deep fryer. I whipped up a seasoned salt and applied liberally when they came out of the fryer. It wasn’t an exact match to Arby’s but close enough

It was messy and delicious

The competition:

Last edited:
Well done! Yours looks way better than the original and I can tell just by looking it was great.

Did you notice the natives were starting to get restless during the long wait?

:mrgreen:

Back