• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Another UDS mod...

SmokeWatcher

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I added some stove rope gasket to the Weber lid that tops my UDS. I'm hoping it will seal a little better and completely snuff out the fire after I close it up. The lid rides a lot higher now too.

Seems I'm always tweaking, whether it's my cookers or my computers, trying to get just a little more performance out of them. :cool:

I tried the rope to no avail it fell of the first time I used it hope you have more luck. I have on barrel that seals good I used gasket material applied with a calking gun. I put plastic wrap and sprayed it with pam so it wouldnt stick. I may try it again on another drum we have that leaks. Also measure your drum to make sure it is round. Is this an Az thread or what lol

No daylight savings time thread!:biggrin: Not realy Rumor haz it People from AZ are tweakers, hopefully you 3 are a different kind than they have around Bullhead City!

Well, I will keep the AZ part going. I have the first fire in my UDS going right now, I built it yesterday.

I think I will need to drill a couple more holes in the top to get better flow, as I have the thing wide open and can only get up to 320 or so. I wanted the ablity to use the weber rotis on this one, so that was why I was looking for a little more heat. I will see after a few more burns. I am using kingsford briqs and I forgot how much ash they produce.

I have no welding skills or a welder, so I looked for some simple mods. I took a Stainless Shaker Basket and bolted it to the weber grate for a fire box. I have (3) 1/2 ball valves and (1) 3/4 ball valve for air.

Here are a few pics of the build.

Attachments

• download 3-15-08 005a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 005a.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 157
  • download 3-15-08 006a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 006a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 157
  • download 3-15-08 002a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 002a.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 156
  • download 3-15-08 003a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 003a.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 155
  • download 3-15-08 008a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 008a.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 154
  • download 3-15-08 010a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 010a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 152
  • download 3-15-08 012a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 012a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 152
  • download 3-15-08 011a.jpg
    download 3-15-08 011a.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 153
I have no welding skills or a welder

Neither have I, I just got on a did it anyway:biggrin:
Good lookin' drum brother. I told SWMBO about the rotisserie mod and she just closed her eyes and groaned, not in exasperation at her husband's need to tweak his UDS but in anticipation of a BBQ'd chicken, so I reckon I've got 'managemet approval' for that one:biggrin:

Thanks, the UDS is holding at a nice 244 for the last 5 hours. Just minor adjusting of the valves.

I found some rib tips in the freezer (from the last trim job on the St Louis ribs) and I will be putting them on in 10 mins.

I was just going to do a seasoning burn, but why waste a good fire and smoke :mrgreen:

Might have to make another out of the 16 guage drums.

I'm missing the point of a rotisorie on a UDS. The beauty of a UDS is the convection heat. I've only done one 12lb chicken but the beer can method was awesome compared to any rotissorie chicken I've had.

Its hard to see what you have for exhaust but it seems that most drums have about 30% more exhaust than intake.

I do not what to run into a 12 lb chicken. Was that big bird, :-D

The rotis is only a thought, cause I bought one for my weber grill. So I thought why not. A brined, Spatched chicken is one of my favorite and beer can is good too. I really built this to add options to my comps, for ribs and chicken.

As far as the vent holes, I only have (4) 7/8 inch holes on the top in a diamond pattern (or square depending how you look at it). I thought I would give it a burn before adding more holes. Adding more is easy, taking them away not so easy.

I have not tried the rotis, but thought you did that more on a grill. I think my UDG will work great for a rotis chicken. My wife has be bugging me about doing more chicken.

I got a well used Webber for $10 off CL and it came with an unused extention and whatever you call the thing you run through the chicken and the unused in the box motor. It fits on top of the UDG of course and the fire will only be about 12" or so I think below the chicken. Take a look at the thread called "Something new I think". Got some pics of the UDG.

SmokeWatcher- got any pix or description of where you put it (inside the lip or inside and around the lip to hold it) and how you attached it? Have you tried it out yet?

SmokeWatcher- got any pix or description of where you put it (inside the lip or inside and around the lip to hold it) and how you attached it? Have you tried it out yet?
No pics, the camera is at work. I placed it inside the lip (after I got rid of the nasty build-up) and I used hi-temp black RTV sealer. I haven't tried it yet, maybe next weekend after a trip to Sam's Club.

I ran it today for the first time after the mod. It held temps incredibly well...250-260 all day. I'm not sure if it was the rope gasket or the fact that I switched to RO lump for my heat (I'm out of Rancher). After 8 hours at 250 I still had lots of unspent lump remaining....heck of an improvement!!

Back