First HnF Brisket on my UDS

sdhjames

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Had a family over from church this past Saturday. I thought I would use them as a guinea pigs for my first Hot and Fast Brisket and First brisket on my UDS. Used a mixture of Royal Oak lump, Kingsford Comp and some added hickory chunks.

I did not even check the temperature of the brisket. I only probed it until I thought it was done. Seasoned it up using Pitmaster T's tri-level and put it on the UDS at 6:00 am at 225 degrees, fat side down. Temperatures in the drum fluctuated between 218 to 253 for four hours. Flipped the brisket over and ramped the temp up to 300, now it was super stable at this temp. At 11:30 I check it by probing it and thought it could go a little longer. Checked again at noon, probed with little resistance so I pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper. Placed it in a cooler to rest. Ok so I started way early because I wanted to make sure it was done before my guest arrived at 6:00, just a little premature on my timing. I had to reheat in the oven, but I left it wrapped in paper.

My thoughts are that the flat was a little dry, didn’t fall apart or crumble. I thought it had a good pull with a little snap but honestly I haven’t ate a lot of Brisket. The point on the other hand was delish. Everyone thought it was great. Probaly could have pulled it at 11:30 and all would have been well.

And the pron…..
2Seasoned_zpsbc754cc2.jpg

3OnTheGrill_zpsc81a2def.jpg

5OffTheGrill2_zps48a73327.jpg

6Flat_zps6f6cd2e1.jpg

7Point_zps37ed5828.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good I never probe the point if you get the flat right the point will be awesome too.
You might think about adjusting you times a little too first two at 225 ramp up to 300 wrap in BP at the 4th hr. continue to cook to probe tender.

Looks pretty good I never probe the point if you get the flat right the point will be awesome too.
You might think about adjusting you times a little too first two at 225 ramp up to 300 wrap in BP at the 4th hr. continue to cook to probe tender.

Thanks. I was leaning on changing the process to more or less what you suggested. I will try it the next time. Never heard about just probing the flat, I'll give that try.

Thanks. I was leaning on changing the process to more or less what you suggested. I will try it the next time. Never heard about just probing the flat, I'll give that try.

ya i was just informed about this as well yesterday. im dying to try another brisket now. LOL

its weird how identical ur brisket looks pulled to mine.... i did a 230 degree fat down from 7pm to 4 am.... that nine freakin hours!!! as you could see from vids it was nowhere near done and seemingly burned to a crisp.... then it was wrapped with no liquid and cooked at 260 or so until 8 am ---- minus the wrapping and jackin time.... thats a total of 12.5 hours....

then it was checked... parts of the flat still had some yield but it was probably done by some northern pageant's standards---you know... ready to cover up with sauce... so then it sat and "rested" at 180-200 in the uds for at least 4 hours or so...

essentially.... 16-17 hours..... ur brisket flat was not done.....

also.... don't flip the fat up

[ame]http://youtu.be/xQCeXzhWz3U[/ame]

This OLD Video was in service for years but it had some problems. The biggest one is I am POURING on the butt glitter but claim it to be Lawrys... LOL... I never caught that until someone told me it was too salty... They had poured the lawreys on like it looked like i did but it was a mistake...

The other part was me not giving a ****. at the time this vid was made NO ONE hardly was doin temps that high. most were lower and no... i do not want to waste time talking about who was.... i am just saying most did not....

now i was tired and wanted to go to bed.... u see me slice the point only because the flat was not ready ....even after 10 hours or so....

Last edited:
its really about this... [ame]http://youtu.be/I5MytyQ5OII[/ame]

I also would suggest not to flip the fat side up and think about wrapping it in butcher paper after the bark is set to where you want it. Finish cooking it in the butcher paper.

Thanks for the advice Pitmaster T.

Do you check temps or probe for feel? or both?

So point will always be done before flat, do you seperate and finish the flat or leave together?

I did look at the flat temp when I pulled it, 205 with a Thermapen and then I wrapped and rested in cooler for 4 + hours. Though it was 205 that's not why I pulled it, I thought it probed with little resistance. First time I tried to probe there was a noticable difference between the point and the flat. Point felt like butter and very similar to when I do pork butts. The second time I checked the point and flat were very similar in feel.

I will try another brisket again soon.

So point will always be done before flat, do you seperate and finish the flat or leave together?

I did look at the flat temp when I pulled it, 205 with a Thermapen and then I wrapped and rested in cooler for 4 + hours. Though it was 205 that's not why I pulled it, I thought it probed with little resistance. First time I tried to probe there was a noticable difference between the point and the flat. Point felt like butter and very similar to when I do pork butts. The second time I checked the point and flat were very similar in feel.

allow me to add this. i was taken to school

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155893

Point and flat do not cook the same and often to get point done fully right takes longer. There is no method to tell if the point if perfect except for feel and experience. The flat you show looks underdone to me as well. A flat that is over-cooked to the point of being dry will always fall apart when sliced. A flat that is dry and does not fall apart when properly sliced is not cooked enough. 205F internal temperature means nothing (IMO). I like to cook my points for another 15-30 minutes or so once I pull the flats (because the flats are done).

1. see 2:08 in video in post above

2. no... that's silly. the point is needed to properly finish the flat for best results. if you dont give a damn, then separate it. pulling it for burndt ends is not even a legitimate excuse.

pro tip on full packer cooking. Always put the point closer to heat source, so it renders better. In an offset, that would be closest to firebox. In a UDS, that would mean placing point closest to middle of cooker and letting skinny end of flat hang at the cooler outer edge. In a reverse flow? Who knows? But I'd do a biscuit test or something to determine which end of the cooker is hottest, and position the point in that area.

I also agree that you should never bother probing the point, it will be great as long as the flat end is cooked right. It all boils down to "know your cooker", and ignore the point.

Back