• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork on top; brisket on bottom PICs -- happening now!

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm two hours in.

2 - 6.5 lb bone in pork shoulders, injected and rubbed on the top grate
1 3.5 lb brisket flat on the bottom grate, rubbed

The pork has been on for 2 hours (started at 7) and I just put the brisket on at 9am. I reason that the little 3.5 lb brisket won't be done before the big shoulders on top and I didn't want to risk having any uncooked pork dripping on the brisket (hence the staggered start).

It snowed here last night and its cold! Little WSM is holding temperature strong at 240-260. I've been adding quite a bit of fuel to keep it going. Lots of stoking too.

Here are some pics so far (2 hours in)

John

Attachments

• brisket_pork1.jpg
    brisket_pork1.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 297
  • brisket_pork2.jpg
    brisket_pork2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
And the 12 o'clock check in. Man it smells good out there.

I'm refraining from mopping b/c the injected pork seems so moist. The second pic I tried to focus down to the brisket. Brisket is 157 degrees internal temperature. I'm not sure whether I should foil it or just keep it down there?

I'm holding pretty good temperature considering it snowed and its freezing rain right now. Gotta love MD.

brisket_pork3.jpg

brisket_pork4.jpg

Looking Good!!!! I love cooking in crappy weather!!!:shock: Well for that matter I love cooking in any weather!!:wink:

You'll have a tough decision to make... pork or brisket... go for both :-D. Looking forward to the finished product.

Looks awesome, and the focus on the brisket through the top grate makes for a pretty cool shot! Crappy weather here too, had about 4 inches of snot on the driveway this morning so my blower got its first workout of the season. Would have something fired up but gotta work tonight, lookin' great

Don't foil the briskey, you get enough moisture on the lower rack from the water pan. Let it ride till done and develop a nice thick bark.

man that looks good. i would not foil either. it looks like the pork and briskie will end up just fine

You have got to have both on one sandwich. I had a one from a restaurant and it was great. I agree with you on MD I was out side last night cooking chicken on the BGE, man was it cold.

So the brisket is now resting. I cooked it to 190 and stuck a probe in it to assess 'softness.' It wasn't really like butter so I kept it on. Took it off at 199 (total cook time from 9am-7pm at ~250) and just sliced one little end off. It was pretty tough. Tasted great, but definitely not falling apart soft. Hmm, I'm not sure. Two thermometers registered 199 so it isn't a therm error.

Right now it's wrapped tight in foil at room temperature.

I will clarify this however, a thermometer probed did slide into the meat easily, but there was some resistance when I cut a few cheater slices off the end.

Last edited:
Overall a success. I can't wait to eat more of it tomorrow. Here are some pics.

I'm guessing the brisket needed to be cooked in an aluminum tin or foiled early. The flat just doesn't have enough protective fat I guess.

brisket_pork5.jpg
brisket_pork6.jpg

Nice looking brisket bud. Looks to me like you nailed it without foiling.

Back