catering our cub scouts Blue and Gold banquet

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm catering our cub scout blue and gold banquest this year. Wanted to run the menu by ya'll and see if there's any suggestions. I'm not trying to make money, but do need to cover costs. Expecting around 100 to 120 people which will be families with kids.

Adults: $5.00
Pulled pork or hamburger
baked beans
tater salad
piece of bread
plate, napkin, silverware, condmients

Kids: $3.00
hamburger or hot dog
bag of chips
plate, napkin, silverware, condmients

off the shelf baked beans?
Sams frozen hamburgers?
piece of bread or bun for the pork?
Prices seem okay?

Mac and Cheese ...
skip tater salad, wrong season

yes, drinks included. Probably juice boxes and tea

yea, probably let the scouts have a pork sw as well. We will sell tickets/give order forms so we can have a good head count.

you really don't see mac n cheese around here at bbq's. Just tatar salad or coleslaw and baked beans

I'm not trying to make money, but do need to cover costs.

If all you want to do is cover cost, take the cost and divide by 100. This will give you a per person price. I got a mixed message on your question. Is this a charity event? It appears that you are tyring to make cost plus a few dollars for your labor. Figgure it this way, if all 100-120 were kids, you would make 300.00-360.00. I am sure that would cover your cost then some. Just my 2 cents.

i picked the price kind of out of the air. Figure 5 dollars was plenty fair for a bbq plate. But not to expensive as we are a poorer pack and it does tend to nickle and dime you to death.

If we make any money it'll all go back to the pack. Expenses will be the food of course, decorations, and various awards.

last year they charged $3 a plate for spegatie (i think 3) and I believe we ended up losing some money all things considered. Didn't keep good talley on tickets sold. And they didn't figure covering decoration costs and such in the meal price

I do a lot of these types of events and if possible I try and get a head count as to who is going to be eating what. Like it was mentioned before what if the Scout wants pork and conversely what if a parent wants a burger. For these types of events I charge cost plus $30.00. The thirty is to help cover incidentals and such. As far as the food goes tater salad always works and is less work for you I personally like the Resers red potato salad at Sam’s Club. It tastes good on its own but I doctor it up some for an additional kick.

i just emailed the wife and she liked the idea of mac n cheese. To be honest, I don't care for either so it doesn't matter much to me.

I will be selling tickets with a sign up sheet so people can tell me what they want ahead of time.

Is pork and hamburgers alright. I don't need to offer chicken do I? I don't want to, to many variables.

Sounds like you have a good plan, you should be fine on covering your costs with some extra for the things you did not think about. I would not go any cheaper, better to CYA and donate $$ if any left than to be in the hole.

I think you are doing fine with the pulled pork and hamburger, since you are trying not to make to much money then those are the items that go a long way for the cost. I have catered for a Blue and Gold also and had great luck. I provided the pulled pork and buns only and I did it at cost. Mainly because i was the Cubmaster at the time.

I know our kids at school will take the pork over the burgers. Just do pull pork make it simple

i picked the price kind of out of the air. Figure 5 dollars was plenty fair for a bbq plate. But not to expensive as we are a poorer pack and it does tend to nickle and dime you to death.

If we make any money it'll all go back to the pack. Expenses will be the food of course, decorations, and various awards.

last year they charged $3 a plate for spegatie (i think 3) and I believe we ended up losing some money all things considered. Didn't keep good talley on tickets sold. And they didn't figure covering decoration costs and such in the meal price

It's almost 2011 my friend the $5.00 menu is a thing of the past. people will pay at least $10 for a fundraiser. I know you are not trying to profit but $10 is a fair price:-D

It's almost 2011 my friend the $5.00 menu went away 15yrs ago. don't sweat it people will pay $10 to $12 for a fundraiser. don't sell yourself short. try and get plates and utensiles donated:-D

Back