• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Moink faq

Thank you guys, And Sorry Bob, I'll re read stuff more carefully.

I will be cooking MOINK Balls on Fox40 morning show in Sacramento tomorrow.

Dayum, I'm trying to fina link grail sent in this thread, And I'm having a hard time.

With the sodium restriction I have I don't think I'll ever get Certified.

oh well....

Derek, you can use low sodium bacon, as long as it is pork. You can make the meatballs as long as you only use beef, seasoning and binders. To be quite honest, and I have spent the last 20 years monitoring my sodium, with what you have shown and cooked, you can easily get certified for MOINK by just using pre-made Italian beef meatballs and low sodium bacon and just limiting intake to 2 or 3. You are making this 1000% more complicated than it needs to be.

Derek, you can use low sodium bacon, as long as it is pork. You can make the meatballs as long as you only use beef, seasoning and binders. To be quite honest, and I have spent the last 20 years monitoring my sodium, with what you have shown and cooked, you can easily get certified for MOINK by just using pre-made Italian beef meatballs and low sodium bacon and just limiting intake to 2 or 3. You are making this 1000% more complicated than it needs to be.
Thank you so very much, bro.

I'll do that. I'll make them for the fam tomorrow.

:) and sorry I'm always an over complicated kind of guy.

Oh yes Landarc, This is not being rude. or anything to you bro.

But what I show you, like the ribs has very low salt, mainly in the sauce and that's roughly about 150 for a half cup.

The pizza's has low salt, and the low salt is on the cheese.

All my other sauces like my red sauce has 20-40 sodium for the whole thing..

and I don't eat out anymore, All my dogs are uncured, or low salt ordered from salt watchers.com.

Cool huh?

Doing the MOINK balls with Phubar's glaze, and my KC rub tonight.

I'll post for certication

My curiosity got the best of me so I read this thread. I will make sure that doesn't happen again<G>! Reminds me that I haven't had a fattiie for awhile much less tried to make anything like a MOINK ball. Might give it a try some time. Can't promise I will be a purist though.

There's some definite MOINKing going on in my smoker right now. If you close your eye's, you can almost hear it.

So, I know that OFFICIALLY you are to use pre-cooked, frozen italian meatballs. I was at Kroger yesterday and bought some frozen meatballs, and they had 3 varieties. They had italian meatballs, sweedish meatballs, and homestyle meatballs. I had not yet read the "italian" stipulation, but I know that the M in MOINK stands for MOO. So I looked at the back of the package, knowing that Italian sausage is made with pork. Sure enough, first ingredient on the Italian meatballs was Pork, then Beef. Same for the Sweedish ones The Homestyle ones, however, read Beef, then Pork. So I bought those.

Is there a certain brand that has all-beef italian style meatballs? If so, next time I'll get that so that I can try actual MOINK balls. As it stands, this weekend I'll be smoking some homestyle meatballs wrapped in bacon to see how they are.

Gonna do it on my first UDS build to "break it in" so to speak.

90 minutes or so at around 225 is what I read, so as of now that's the plan.

Seems like, since no official brand is stipulated for the precooked italian meatballs, that you could make your own italian meatballs, precook them yourself, and end up with a genuine moinkball. That way it could be lower sodium, lower carbs(using a low carb, low sodium italian meatball recipe). Then you could eat more than two or three and really enjoy the fruits(or meats) of your labor.
Just wondering.... what would they be called if someone tried making moinkballs using swedish meatballs?

MOINK Balls!!!!! Capital MOINK!!!! Everybody say it with me...."I will capitalize MOINK". Thank you.

<feel better now> :)

Got it! MOINK MOINK MOINK SORRY ABOUT(oops.... turns caps lock off) that! So does MOINK have to be shouted when we say it?

I've always appreciated the subtleties that go into true MOINK Balls. I never even thought to look at the Italian meatball ingredient list and shudder to think that I could have been making imitation ones all along.

Got it! MOINK MOINK MOINK SORRY ABOUT(oops.... turns caps lock off) that! So does MOINK have to be shouted when we say it?

No, no need to shout when ya say it :-D But, your guests might when you run out! :clap2:

What part of the Fort do you live? I went to seminary there!

MOINK MOINK.... just practising. We live in NE Ft Wayne. Did you go to Concordia Seminary? I worked there from 1981-'94. I ran the paint crew in maintenance.

Back