Which part of the brisket is best?

jcfontario

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing my first brisket in the next couple of weeks, bu t am not sure that I want to do a whole packer. If I was to only do a smaller piece, would the brethren recommend doing the flat or the point?

Best for what? Best for slicing for a box -- flat. Best for eating -- my choice would be point, but there are those who would argue with me.

Either way, I like packers cooked whole over trying to do flats alone.

Quoted for Truth.

I agree, whole packers are the only way to go, Local meat market is getting a shipment of whole CAB packers friday, cant wait...I really like the smaller 9lb-10 lbers...just great on the kettle

"Which part of the brisket is best?"

For me, it is which ever part that I happen to be eating, it's all good :biggrin:.

I will only cook whole ones and the best part for me is the part of the flat that is overlapped by the point

I would recommend the point if you were to choose from either of the two. I think it would allow you more room for error. It has more fat throughout and it can take more cook/smoke time.

I have only done about 6 or 7. The first one was a flat and it came out by far better than the next 5 or so whole packers. That does not mean that doing a flat is the way to go. It just means that you can produce a good tasting flat by itself if you get it just right. In my case I would call it lucky because I am still trying to duplicate the flavor, texture, and moistness. I did a point a couple days ago, not so good :evil: Which ever way you go I am sure you will enjoy the experience of doing it as much as the pleasure of eating it. Enjoy :!:

Both. I'm not arguing with Diva!:wink: Flat for slicing and point for ends. I prefer the point too for taste.

I have to go with the point cut and made into burnt ends! But I always somke the whole packer!

I'm not arguing with Diva!:wink:
Damn straight.

*does brisket dance*
booty.gif

Back