New UDS's

Tar River BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here are a couple of shots of the new UDS's, these have a 15.5" X 10" basket, 4x .5" air intakes, these are in the testing phases anyone see ant defects in these ???, my Brother will post the test results later today.

Attachments

• 100_0786.jpg
    100_0786.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_0789.jpg
    100_0789.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_0791.jpg
    100_0791.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 225
I see one obvious problem right off the bat.

They are not at my house.:mrgreen:

Looking good.

UDS Government plot!

Test results!

UDS' are funny beast. We ran 1 with Cowboy Lump and 1 with Royal Oak Briqquetes. With 5 lbs of Royal Oak we only got 2 hours of actual cooking temps (225*F), with 4 1/2" air vents open, Not enough to even cook a fattie!!! The Cowboy Lump we are working on 8.5 hrs and still hanging in there with 9lbs to start with. The only problem that we had with the lump was the temp shot up to 250*F and we could not get it back down, Even with all the air vlvs shut it would not come down. Up untill an hour ago we only had 1 vent partially open, it was odd because right next to the this one was the Royal Oak with all the vents open. I dont know if Im a frim believer in this whole UDS thing, it may be like the moon landing, staged by the Government. More to come!

Speaking of moon landings, the off road wheel package does look cool!!

I've heard of gocart raceing how about UDS races.

Major help needed !!!!

Test results!

UDS' are funny beast. We ran 1 with Cowboy Lump and 1 with Royal Oak Briqquetes. With 5 lbs of Royal Oak we only got 2 hours of actual cooking temps (225*F), with 4 1/2" air vents open, Not enough to even cook a fattie!!! The Cowboy Lump we are working on 8.5 hrs and still hanging in there with 9lbs to start with. The only problem that we had with the lump was the temp shot up to 250*F and we could not get it back down, Even with all the air vlvs shut it would not come down. Up untill an hour ago we only had 1 vent partially open, it was odd because right next to the this one was the Royal Oak with all the vents open. I dont know if Im a frim believer in this whole UDS thing, it may be like the moon landing, staged by the Government. More to come!
We call upon the great brethern UDS experts for advice before these see the smoker junk pile !!!! :smile::smile:

UDS comeback

The UDS with the 9 lbs of Lump is still going strong at the 12 hour mark. Temps were dropping a bit so I opened all the air vents, Temps have gone up to 243*F. Maybe the Moon landing was for real.

I love a good debate! Moon landing...the grassy knoll....my que getting better.

Great info..keep it coming for those of us looking to build a UDS....thanks

They are way too clean, get those things dirty, and start cooking.

How many cooking racks do you have? I see the top but I also see bolts a few inches below. Do you have any more build pics? I'm diggin' the hinged lids also...Wal-Mart specials?

We call upon the great brethern UDS experts for advice before these see the smoker junk pile !!!! :smile::smile:

Try to catch your temps on the way up then shut her down at your desired temp. I find it easier to control mine this way. If you're hittin' 250 at your side mounted thermometer...what are your temps at the center of the cooking grate?

The UDS with the 9 lbs of Lump is still going strong at the 12 hour mark. Temps were dropping a bit so I opened all the air vents, Temps have gone up to 243*F. Maybe the Moon landing was for real.

If you close all the vents and it still cruises then you have an air leak. How big a fire did you start with? When you used Royal Oak was it packed in basket? If it cruises for 4 or more hours and starts losing temp "Kick" or rattle can before adjusting air. It will usually knock ash loose and regain temp.

Also a little trick is get a plastic bucket and put on scale. Add charcoal and mark where level is. Then next time you know where XXlbs. would be.

Awesome looking drums!!

Wheels are a lil small.......:biggrin:

First know that the temp your reading on the thermo is 30* less that center grate temp.
5 lbs of R.O. will go 8 to 10 hrs easy, i'm guessing you ashed up and snuffed the fire.
IMO, 1/2" intakes are to small. You have to use them all and not enough adj. in the valve to do anything.

The lids are sweet, but if they don't seal, you'll have temp issues.

Can you make a set of those wheels steerable or do they just drag when turning? :cool: :biggrin:

Back