More pink chicken talk

checkrd past

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just did my 2nd butterfly chicken to a 170 temp in the thighs and breast and the leg joints and deepest breast are still under cooked . I ve been cookin at 320 to temp on my GMG Jim Bowie, I use different probes to double check and they are the same

how are you making the assessment that they are undercooked?

Take the deepest part of the breast to 165* and the deepest part of the thigh, down in the joint to 170-175* and you should be fine. Don't worry about the temp in the other parts of the bird, just the deep part of the breast and the thigh. It's normal for the meat to appear a bit pink due to the smoking process. Especially around the thigh.

I have never had a breast cooked to 165 that I liked. Even brined, they still have a distinct dryness to them that I can't stand. I typically don't take mine above 150. You will be amazed at the difference. At 150, there is no pink (aside from smoke ring), no sliminess, and the juices run clear. Take a look at this article that explains the food safety aspect.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/sous-vide-basics-low-temperature-chicken.html?ref=search

I have never had a breast cooked to 165 that I liked. Even brined, they still have a distinct dryness to them that I can't stand. I typically don't take mine above 150. You will be amazed at the difference. At 150, there is no pink (aside from smoke ring), no sliminess, and the juices run clear. Take a look at this article that explains the food safety aspect.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/sous-vide-basics-low-temperature-chicken.html?ref=search

Good article...Different cook method...I just don't know how you could keep your chicken at 150* for the 5 min required on a cooker without the temp climbing up to the 160 range...If you pull it earlier(lower temp) you need to hold it longer at that temp...160*(breast) for me is plenty juicy and safe...Be careful...

I don't know what you're doing because mine are dripping wet @ 165 every single time with out exception. I've known people that have went to the hospital on under cooked poultry and it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. 165 for me please! :biggrin1:

Good article...Different cook method...I just don't know how you could keep your chicken at 150* for the 5 min required on a cooker without the temp climbing up to the 160 range...If you pull it earlier(lower temp) you need to hold it longer at that temp...160*(breast) for me is plenty juicy and safe...Be careful...

I must admit that I don't have a lot of experience with smoked chicken, so I don't know how juicy it comes out at 165. I know that when I poach, bake, or roast to 165 internal that I just can't seem to get rid of the dryness (I know this is a bbq forum, I just thought this concept might cross over from the kitchen into the bbq world). As for the meat staying at 150 long enough, between the time it takes the chicken to go from say 148 to 150, and the time it rests, you have more than enough time at temperature to properly sterilize the meat. I've never known anyone to get sick from chicken that was cooked until the juices run clear and the sliminess is gone (which from what I can tell tends to be anything above 145).

Just my 2 cents. I'd say if your chicken stays juicy at 165, might as well cook it to 165, but you shouldn't be scared of the lower temps.

I must admit that I don't have a lot of experience with smoked chicken, so I don't know how juicy it comes out at 165. I know that when I poach, bake, or roast to 165 internal that I just can't seem to get rid of the dryness (I know this is a bbq forum, I just thought this concept might cross over from the kitchen into the bbq world). As for the meat staying at 150 long enough, between the time it takes the chicken to go from say 148 to 150, and the time it rests, you have more than enough time at temperature to properly sterilize the meat. I've never known anyone to get sick from chicken that was cooked until the juices run clear and the sliminess is gone (which from what I can tell tends to be anything above 145).

Just my 2 cents. I'd say if your chicken stays juicy at 165, might as well cook it to 165, but you shouldn't be scared of the lower temps.

So I f i get this right I ll try to get the bird to 150 and try to maintain it for say an hour than take it out to rest .

the pasteurization of chicken has been discussed on either this forum or another in great length. But i have to agree that if your chicken is "dry" at 165 something is wrong.

Back