• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Goodwill Cast Iron Score

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Parsley lady called me yesterday and asked if I want this pan for $1.99...

908220_10200435706527110_1264198163_n.jpg

907149_10200435706327105_866590745_n.jpg

907530_10200435705927095_1896659394_n.jpg

Is a Griswold #962 Aebelskiver (Dutch Pancake) pan. Is says Griswold and Erie, PA on the bottom but it didn't show up in the pictures. I have to idea how old it is, but aside from some surface rust it is in good shape.

Lucky dog! Nice score..:thumb:
Very Jealous.:icon_blush:
Can't wait to see what comes out of it!

Any tips on cleaning the rust? I've read online and saw suggestions of baking soda, vinegar, and sand paper. I may start with baking soda since that's the easiest.

I did my rusty CI's with steel wool, salt and a little water to make a paste. Scrub it good and clean, wash it, season it, you'll be good to go.

A little cleaning an seasoning and it will be ready to go.
I would try baking soda first but it that doesn't work, try like 300 grit sand paper.

I've not tried it on my CI, but some folks say to soak in in Coca-Cola to remove the surface rust.

That is a great looking takoyaki pan, never seen a round one before. And an American made takoyaki pan seems to unusual.

I tried Coca-cola to clean mine, it was sort of okay, still took a lot of work.

Wow! That is a really lucky find. It is very hard to find a good poffertjes pan. Most of the modern ones are Al and just aren't the same! It's a lot of work making poffertjes, but they are oh so yummy!

You just made my day Gore to see the word "poffertjes" one here!:thumb:
If Ronelle knows how to work this piece of iron he's in for a treat!

Very nice score Ronelle,many Dutch Brethren would be jealous of you...now...get you some butter and powdered sugar!

Any tips on cleaning the rust? I've read online and saw suggestions of baking soda, vinegar, and sand paper. I may start with baking soda since that's the easiest.

Self cleaning oven...

Put the cast iron pan in the oven upside down and run it through a self clean cycle. might still be some stubborn rust spots

or if you prefer I have had great results with plain white vinegar for rust removal on chains. stick the pan in a clean bucket , and cover with white vinegar. let sit overnight, but leave the bucket outside or in the garage, it can stink a bit while it works.

Self cleaning oven...

Put the cast iron pan in the oven upside down and run it through a self clean cycle. might still be some stubborn rust spots

Great Score :clap:

I've done the same and it works great||!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

The info on this site gave me the best finish on my cast iron utensils

I realy like that piece.... thats a great score..... :whoo:

Lucky Dog...:grin:

You just made my day Gore to see the word "poffertjes" one here!:thumb:
If Ronelle knows how to work this piece of iron he's in for a treat!

Very nice score Ronelle,many Dutch Brethren would be jealous of you...now...get you some butter and powdered sugar!

We'd like to see some of these when you're done:

tumblr_m2h9twTmZI1r4wssj.jpg

Incidentally, as Phubar can tell you, these supposedly were made first in either a monastery or abbey in the 18th century. For this reason, they also go by the name monk's farts.

We used to cheat and get them prepackaged at Albert Heijn.

I have cleaned and restored cast iron for a lot of years . I cleand one pan that was brown with rust. I cook with it today. Vinegir is the way to go. Just soak it in vinegar for at least 4 hours . Clean it with steel wool . If all the rust is not gone rinse it in cold water. (vinegar is a acid . Then put it down for anouther 4 hours till it is gone . THEN if it has food crust on it ?? well talk to me later . Thats anouther post .

by the way . They quit making griswald and wagner ware in the early 1900's

Back