The Most Versatile Smoker

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Which one? If you said my 3 most important needs are a smoker that does a good job at comp cooking, whole hog, and grilling. Is there a most versatile cooker that does a good job at all 3?

Funny you mentioned this - I had just looked at it and that is what raised the question in my mind. But, I was thinking that a number of other cookers are out there that have add on's like the Tucker that make them complete for all 3 categories?

Look at the Tucker Cooker website out of Memphis, TN.

I would say any offset large enough for the hog and with a lid on the firebox since it will also handle competition loads and you can grill on the firebox.

Some offsets will not let you put a whole hog in the cooking chamber though and the grill space it limited in the firebox. There are going to be some shortfallls trying to cover those 3 areas.

To Greendriver - I am not clear on the last question you asked me. I did not get any of the add ons and have smoked, grilled and did a whole hog on mine. The one thing I wished I had bought with mine was the warming box - that would have helped in comps. I use a cambro which was about a thrid the cost.

My DPP Fat 50 can handle (and does) all three of those. It is up for sale as we are downsizing, if you are interested.

A couple of guys around me have the Louisiana whole hog pellet grill...

Check out the Meadow Creek Caterers delight series. They have a hog cooker and a charcoal cooker on them.

my fourth requirement was price....and I decided on the Meadow Creek PR42....smokes, low and slow with indirect, whole hog, ribs, pork shoulders, etc.... For me and my budget of less than $1500...it was the best all around cooker for the money and let me do whole hogs up to 100lbs as well.

same reason I got the Meadow Creek PR42.....backyard size...does up to a 100 lb hog....I can do 6-8 racks of spare ribs..if I add the 2nd Tier I can add 4 more racks. Can do two full size pork shoulders on basic rack.

It smokes good....cooks low and slow....and so far has done much better than I thought I would be able for ribs, pork shoulder, butte, wings, venison tenderloin and ham. Going to try a brisket next...

I also love that the cooking grate is food quality stainless steel and it has a full length charcoal drawer so I never have to open the lid...just slide out...add lump or wood...close and keep watching my Maverick temp guage. :)

Back