• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Berkshire ribs

superdan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Continuing to cook pieces of my hogs today. Figured some spares would be good to try. I noticed a couple things.

First, the meat is way more "delicate" than store bought. Not sure if others have noticed this. That leads to my second observation which is pulling the membrane just ain't an option. It is really thin and I started to feel like I was tearing the ribs up so I just scored the membrane instead. Unexpected but I guess it's OK...

Put a light coat of mustard and some rub. Pit is coming IP to temp now...

ge7yqude.jpg

Don't worry about the membrane, I never remove it or score it. My wife loves it when it crisps up. Looking good.

Don't worry about the membrane, I never remove it or score it. My wife loves it when it crisps up. Looking good.

That is refreshing. My wife complains both when I remove and when I don't.q
John

Ha! If she complains I'll just eat her's too!!
They're cooking now so I'll put her to work making beans!

Fried up the bacon odds and ends leftover from making bacon and then sauteed the onions in the bacon grease. Gonna be eating good tonight!
ujenesys.jpg

e2e7asev.jpg

bahemu8a.jpg

Interesting, never done Berkshire ribs, that membrane thing is curious to me. Seems like it will be fine.

This, I know it's there and can tell its there when I'm eating, but most can't.

I used to never pull the membrane, then It was a must do thing. Now I have come full circle and I don't bother. IMO my ribs are juicer and it mostly cooks away resulting in a juicy moist bite through rib, a Pork-a-liciuos thing:-D

Are you at 275°? Looks delicious, I hate that it gets so cold here.

Are you at 275°? Looks delicious, I hate that it gets so cold here.

Floating around 250. The little bite I snuck was good ;)

I think they are thinner than store spares. Maybe because we slaughtered at 5 1/2 months. Even though they were 275 pounds maybe their ribs woulda kept growing...
Into the cooler for a couple hours I guess :shrug:

When I did BBQ work I didn't pull the membrane, now I do if its easy to get off. If its hard to get off I leave it.

So, they came out really good. The membrane wasn't really a hassle, I did peel a couple pieces off while eating....
I will say this, the ribs were not as meaty as store bought. I dunno if it is cuz I didn't pump my hogs full of growth hormone or what. They certainly tasted good though!!

Back