fructose, a good listen

That is an excellent video.

I try to limit my carb intake. I use Splenda in my rubs instead of suger.

Thanks for the link.

Bob

Sent from my Android phone.

i just did a whole report on this for chem class. fructose no matter what form, is converted to energy by the liver, fructose is not bad, its the large amounts we are exposed to IE high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING. When someone has to much high fructose corn syrup (which may have the same glycimic index as sugar, but its composition is completely different), the liver gets stressed and insulin is then released and sugars spike up and down. Insulin is the fat storage hormone. when the liver is stressed this much, it can also cause issues with another hormone, besides insulin, called lipton. Lipton is what tells your brain to stop eating, in a sense. when to much sugar is consumed, it can actually stop releasing that hormone because the liver is stressed out. anyway, it was an interesting paper and special.

The part I took away from the video is that 100 calories of glucose eaten = 100 calories of energy into your blood steam. While 100 calories of fructose = 30 calories converted directly to fat without entering the bloodsteam and only 70 calories entering the blood stream as energy. So to get the same 100 calories of energy into the bloodstream by eating fructose, you need to eat 143 calories instead of the 100 cal of glucose. The additional 43 calories needed is converted directly to fat gain.

(Also, while we're on the topic, a person should check out "Fathead" on Netflix. Its also very informative and kind of related.)

I was under the belief that Fructose can only be stored in your liver and after your liver stores are full, is stored only in bodyfat

I think the whole "fructose is bad" thing is the fad of the month in the diet world, whose harm is a bit overblown. Yes, you should avoid foods with processed high fructose corn syrup, but to the extent that people are avoiding or limiting fruits, I think they are overreacting quite a bit. Frankly, you should be avoiding, or at least limiting, the amount of processed foods in your diet anyways. But this isn't going to make me stop putting a small reasonable amount of table or brown sugars into my rubs and sauces. I am certainly not going to replace real sugar with some sort of formulated sugar substitute and there is no way I am going to stop eating plenty of healthy fruits and veggies (and since I don't have celiac disease, I am not avoiding glutens either).

All things in moderation.

He didn't advocate not eating fruit. Fruit has a high fiber content, which he said is good.
It's the high amount of high fructose corn syrup, in many processed food, that he claims is the problem.

He didn't advocate not eating fruit. Fruit has a high fiber content, which he said is good.
It's the high amount of high fructose corn syrup, in many processed food, that he claims is the problem.

Well, yeah. But I tend to limit the amount of processed food I eat anyways. But given a choice between high fructose corn syrup and an artificial sweetener that doesn't exist in nature, I'll take high fructose corn syrup every day of the week.

yeah fructose from fruits is desirable. you also want fructose from raw honey, fruits, raw sugars but just dont over do it.

fructose is not bad, its the large amounts we are exposed to IE high fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING. haha

don't forget that the fiber with the fruit is what kind of neutralizes it. just juice alone is not good. either way i' will be changing how i eat.

Back