View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraze99 View Post
Well i have been planning a reverse flow the whole time... Insulated or not. So what your saying is insulate just the box itself and leave the tube alone.... Seem awhole lot simpler...

do you have one like this and is the tube stable? compaired to the box?
Sorry to say I don't own one but have had several offsets in the past and observed others cooking on units with and without insulated fire boxes, the insulated just make more since. An un-insulated box has one advantage, you can keep things hot on top of it or even warm your wood but you will need to watch it because it can catch fire, that's how much heat you are losing through the top and sides of the box if not insulated.

One other thought, why not make the top of an insulated box with a lid that will fold back and expose a cooking grate. You can grill on, just not at the same time you are smoking, but buy its self or after a smoke to crisp up skin or do up some dogs and burgers, veges ect. Dang now I got to think about building one my self.
Dave