Burning green wood.

IMO 6 months of seasoning usually makes for un-seasoned wood. It won't smoke like fresh cut wood and it won't burn like seasoned wood. AKA the worst of both scenarios. YMMV

I guess that in my mind, "green" wood is in the fresh cut to 3 or 4 months. Depending on the size of the splits and the species of wood, 6 months and out could be pretty decent to smoke with if there's a good enough bed of coals.

I guess that in my mind, "green" wood is in the fresh cut to 3 or 4 months. Depending on the size of the splits and the species of wood, 6 months and out could be pretty decent to smoke with if there's a good enough bed of coals.

That may work with some woods depending on the size of the pieces but my experience with ECB sized pieces was that even 1 or 2 week old pieces didn't work as well as fresh cut did. I'd be prepared to pull out an offending piece if it doesn't smell right.

I have added leaves stripped from a Hickory branch into a good bed of coals. Nice smoke flavor. Could be too much for some.

I have added leaves stripped from a Hickory branch into a good bed of coals. Nice smoke flavor. Could be too much for some.

Not sure I'd burn leaves in my smoker due to many tree leaves putting off serious fumes when burned green.

Back