• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Making Bacon

Had to check temp. and could not resist getting a pic. Not the best pic being its dark and used a flash. Man its looking good. Temp at 143* six hours in.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MDEuanBn.jpg

All I can say is you have ruined yourself. Once you have made your own bacon, there is no going back to store bought. I have made regular and buckboard bacon, one day soon, hope to make some Canadian Bacon and if I get a real wild hair, gonna try and cure a ham.

Well here she is, fresh off the UDS. I will stick if fridge after cooling to slice in the morning. I did taste the secreated fat and it was amazing. Yes, I am a fat licker!!! ***post cook, I let the temp go up to 225* for the last hour. It was a total of 7 hours on the smoke.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MDMuanBn.jpg

Due to the Holiday and cooking for 25 people the bacon got to sit a extra day in the fridge waiting. I woke up this morning with one plan and it did not include shopping.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MDguanBn.jpg

It turned out awesome. Salt content is perfect. If I had anything to improve it would be to make it a little more sweat. Maybe some syrup before smoking?
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MTEuanBn.jpg

That looks fantastic! Like the thick slices too. Did you slice with a knife or slicer?

A knife for now, if I keep making it I would like a slicer.

Did you smoke it yet? How did it turn out?

You are going to fit in well around here, not many of us want to read, that's why we post a lot of pictures, everyone likes a lot of pictures and can follow along with the story line. Please go back and look at the pictures. :)

A observation, I think next time I will cut back on the smoke a little. Its almost to much for breakfast. Also I will add a bit more sweatness. Over all its not to bad for the first time.
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MTQuanBn.jpg

Not bad at all for first attempt. And yes....you need sweet to go with the salt. You will learn as you go. Like others have said, you will never go back to store-bought bacon. Welcome to the club.

Looks awesome! I am butchering hogs next weekend and will be making bacon soon.
Do you home butcher or will you be taking them to a custom butcher house? I miss the "hog killins" we used to have when I was a kid. We would have to plan them on the first coldest day we had and would have to watch the weather on the tv to make sure it wouldn't be getting warm for the next few days or so while the hams and bacon was curing in the smokehouse before we started the little tiny fire in the middle. Would keep a little fire going and me and pawpaw would go out in the woods and cut some green sasafras sticks to put on the coals every now and then and would put a washpan with some holes knocked in the bottom of it over the fire with only a little of one side elevated for some inflow ventilation so the fire would smother down and smolder. That meat would stay hung in the smokehouse for several days and sometimes weeks and every so often pawpaw would go in and shave a tiny slice off one of the hams or bacon sides to "test" it to know when it was done.

I truly miss those times I had with the family and it is literally bringing tears to my eyes as I type this reply. I wish I would have had more time with him and had been a little older so I could have remembered more of the details.

Back