• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods or egg smoker question

J

Jdman4x20

First let me say that I hope I have posted this is in the correct location.

I am thinking about doing a few comps and need some smoker advice. I currently have a large BGE and need advice on a second smoker. I am looking at possible adding a second egg or go to a backwoods.
What would be your recommendation on brand and size?

Thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I have an egg and love it, but bought a Weber Bullet that had much more capacity, excellent burn time, was lighter, and was 1/3 of the price. Downside versus the egg is definitely the issue of cleaning. As for a backwoods I couldn't say because I don't own one or have never used one.

We compete with two large BGE's. It can be done. I know a guy that has competed with just one BGE and done pretty decent. Timing has to be perfect though.

With the Two Egg setup you need to cooler/cambro your big meats early enough to get ribs and then chicken on.

I'm looking to add to our cooker selection and pondering a backwoods myself. I want the extra cooking space so I can do peoples choice and also cook more volume for my church family etc.

I have seen teams do well with eggs, that said, i see them struggle moving them around,
A good size of backwoods that is popular is the fatboy and gater, the party is also popular, as the size and weight is a bit easier to move.

How are you planning on getting the cookers to the comps?

The competitor is great for comps, all depends on your budget.
, Eric

I'd be thinking capacity for the second cooker. I have an XL BGE and love it, great for chicken. I'd go with something that you could get all of your big meats on, even a WSM if your on a tight budget.

I have seen teams do well with eggs, that said, i see them struggle moving them around,
A good size of backwoods that is popular is the fatboy and gater, the party is also popular, as the size and weight is a bit easier to move.

How are you planning on getting the cookers to the comps?

The competitor is great for comps, all depends on your budget.
, Eric

I was going to start using my open utility trailer to haul the pits with, just to see if this is something that I would stick with. I am comfortable with the operation of my Egg but its capacity is limited.

Will the party Backwoods hold all of my large meats?

It's possible for the Party to hold your large meats, yes.

This will depend on the size of your brisket /s and the amount of those and butts that you cook. While I do use a whole packer, it has to be trimmed extensively to fit on the 16 x 15 inch grates. Flats, no problem.

Foiling becomes an issue as well as the space between grates can be limited, you will have to remove some for your butts to fit when foiled, at least in my experience. Your trailer will come in handy for the Party as it can be a pain to load and unload in the bed of a truck if your by yourself.

I'm actually having a hitch mounted stand made for mine to give it some use, tired of looking at it in the garage.

We used to use 3 large BGEs and they were okay except for the limited capacity. We now use a WSM and two eggs and it has been a lot easier with better results. Although we're primarily a BGE team (i guess that would be Egg-centric) we've found we have a lot more flexibility and capactity using a supplemental smoker (in this case the WSM).

Good luck!

Riblette

I would suggest an Onyx Oven as another good option. It sells for $995, cooks very well, is extremely fuel efficient. The combination of an Egg and one of those would work great.

Brett

The Onyx oven sold by BBQ Guru is very versatile and a Good unit. That being said so is the Backwoods. Backwoods sells the extended party that will give you more space front to back. People have done entire comps on it but have to time their cooking well. Check out Old Daves post on the Backwoods forum- he did this. He also has a pic of a hitch that he attasches to his vehicle to transport his fatboy. A mod here Ron_L just got a Party and did a few threads on it Check it out. I love my Large Egg but I would not want to transport it to a Comp There are people that do and do well

I am using a Large egg and XL egg for comps and seem to do alright. Biggest thing is having enough help to get them out of the trailer.

I cooked a comp with a large BGE and a Guru onyx oven and it worked out great. that's teh most we have slept at a competition. The Guru oven just purred all night with the butts and brisket, in teh morning i stuck in the ribs and put the chicken on the egg. no problem .
FB/SGP

As far a backwoods go I would go with the extended party or fatboy. I cooked on a party for years and it's tight with big meats. The fatboy is awesome but don't know your price limit.

I'd love to see a pic of the stand when you're done with it. I've been thinking of a way to do that with my fatboy.

Picking it up today. Will post some pics in a seperate thread.

Had it made to take the Party to the Sam's Regional in Missouri, even though I qualified on UDS's.

A certain KCBS Board member, who will remain nameless but his initials on the board are Jorge, said I change cookers more than his wife changes shoes.....

I am going to look into the onyx oven as an option. I do like its price point.
I know each event is different, how much meat will I need to cook? Do you have to cook extra for the event or just what you need to make your boxes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Currently Left Hand Smoke is an all WSM team (2/22" 2/18") and will probably finish this season out on them.

In the mean time, I'm getting familiar with a Backwoods Gater that I plan to work into the routine as the main cooker along with a Large Big Green Egg that has the Eggnest Handler. The BGE I'm comfortable with and see no problems using it, but I'm not willing to learn at comp$ on the Backwoods and want to be proficient with it before taking it on the road.

Ive been debating a cabinet smoker for a while. We're currently a 2 large egg and 26" weber kettle team. I've got a pro-q 20, but not the biggest fan of it. I'd like a backwoods, or a stumps, or a clone of either, but will probably hold out, save my money and go the FEC route.

We started out using BGE's in competition. After two broken fire rings and countless back aches from moving them around, we decided to go a different route. We're cooking on a Backwoods now & love it. We cook all 4 meat catagories on the same smoker and it works out great for us. I am in the process of trying to secure the East TN dealership for Backwoods. I'd be glad to demonstrate one for you if you're up this way. And when you're ready I can locate a new or used model that works best for your cooking requirements.

Back