Legal or not??????????????

EMTTLC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
KCBS rule #10. Pork ribs: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style ribs are prohibited.............I have a friend who got a DQ for placing chunks of pulled rib meat in his turn in container. He had seven bones placed on a bed of parsley with the chunks around the edge. If a box is presented with legal garnish, no sculpted meat, no pooling of sauce, and enough samples for each judge, is it not a legal entry. I've judged chicken entries with thighs placed on a bed of pulled chicken and brisket entries with shredded meat under the slices, and never considered a DQ; nor have any judges at my tables. What am I missing here?:confused::confused::confused:

KCBS rule #10. Pork ribs: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style ribs are prohibited.............I have a friend who got a DQ for placing chunks of pulled rib meat in his turn in container. He had seven bones placed on a bed of parsley with the chunks around the edge. If a box is presented with legal garnish, no sculpted meat, no pooling of sauce, and enough samples for each judge, is it not a legal entry. I've judged chicken entries with thighs placed on a bed of pulled chicken and brisket entries with shredded meat under the slices, and never considered a DQ; nor have any judges at my tables. What am I missing here?:confused::confused::confused:

Even if it was ruled legal your friend would have ended up in about the same place - the bottom of the standings for ribs.

Just for clarity: the "bones" all had meat attached to them. It was your typical turn in with chunks around the edge.

Rule says all meat in the box must be attached to the rib bones. Stops people from adding chunks of non rib meat.

Check rule 16

It says, "ribs shall include the bone". Clearly there was some meat in the box that had no bone. Sounds like a DQ to me.

As Table Captain, When opening that box, I would immediately call the rep over. For the catogory, it would be tantamount to sculpted (or something like that)
Ed

A Rep advisory went out on this a couple years back when this first appeared. For a while it was even explicitly mentioned at cook's meetings. Neither chicken or brisket mention bones in their specification.

Bottom line is what he did was a DQ. Live and learn...

Consensus is... DQ, Tough lesson on interpretation of the rules. He had a 3rd in chicken and a 3rd in pork. Rule 16 says bone-in, I felt like he met that requirement with the seven bones. I see the err in my thinking. Mental note to self; Learn from others mistakes.

Your friend is not the first to learn the hard way this year. A rep told me he had to DQ one like that earlier this year.

OK... for clarity sake I'm the one this happened to this weekend at the Horsin' Around Competition in Young Harris, Ga. For the last year and a half I have been placing chopped meat in the bottom of my turn in boxes ALONG WITH my entry... NOT AS my entry. Whether it was pork, brisket, chicken or ribs... each box included chopped meat from the entry AS A GARNISH ONLY in the bottom. I placed the appropriate meat in the box on top of the chopped. I am also a judge so I understand the rules. In my rib box this weekend I included 7 spare ribs ON THE BONE placed on a bed of chopped rib meat. Again as a judge I understand that everything in the box is fair game to be sampled. I read the rule as it was stated "Ribs shall include bone"... and bone in ribs were turned in. They just happened to be placed on a bed of chopped rib meat. The rep was very apologetic about the whole incident and I realize that the judge's interpretation of the rules are final. It was just a heartbreaker to get calls for 3rd in both chicken & pork and then get a DQ in ribs over something I have literally done for a year and a half... including the National BBQ Cup last year in Cumming Ga.

I realize that the judge's interpretation of the rules are final.

Actually, it is NOT the judge's interpretation, but rather the Contest Rep's interpretation that is final. Just clarifying.

I was judging in Cornelia, GA a month or two ago and one rib box was DQ'ed for having a "foreign object" in the rib box because of the meat in the box that was not on a bone. It may get past some judges/TCs/& Contest Reps, but it may not. Why take the chance.

OK... for clarity sake I'm the one this happened to this weekend at the Horsin' Around Competition in Young Harris, Ga. For the last year and a half I have been placing chopped meat in the bottom of my turn in boxes ALONG WITH my entry... NOT AS my entry. Whether it was pork, brisket, chicken or ribs... each box included chopped meat from the entry AS A GARNISH ONLY in the bottom. I placed the appropriate meat in the box on top of the chopped. I am also a judge so I understand the rules. In my rib box this weekend I included 7 spare ribs ON THE BONE placed on a bed of chopped rib meat. Again as a judge I understand that everything in the box is fair game to be sampled. I read the rule as it was stated "Ribs shall include bone"... and bone in ribs were turned in. They just happened to be placed on a bed of chopped rib meat. The rep was very apologetic about the whole incident and I realize that the judge's interpretation of the rules are final. It was just a heartbreaker to get calls for 3rd in both chicken & pork and then get a DQ in ribs over something I have literally done for a year and a half... including the National BBQ Cup last year in Cumming Ga.

I was always understanding that if there is meat in the box it is to be sampled, so the "garnish only" thing doesnt work, kinda like " no one could see the foil until the meat was removed from the box so its leagle. If I was at that table I would call the rep over as well.

Tough lesson to learn.

A great way to prevent these tough lessons is to simply talk it over with the Contest Rep. I hated to see the rep toting THREE boxes after rib turn-ins, especially coming towards our site with them. Two of the three were right at us with your friend's being the one with pulled. The people next to us only put 5 bones in the box.

I am in no way arguing the fact that I was right or wrong... at least not here. Nor was I hiding behind my comment regarding "garnish only". I am just clarifying the facts of the event before they get distorted by assumptions. I graciously accept their call as correct and hope it becomes one of those "remember when that happened" stories for future competitions. I was IN NO WAY trying to skirt a rule or trying to get by with something I knew or thought to be illegal. I just simply did not understand the rule as it was presented. My understanding now is that all other catagories may be presented on a bed of chopped meat... just not ribs. The reps explaination of ribs specifically was that "there was no way to ensure that it was actually rib meat unless it was on the bone". Again... I accept that and will know better next time.

Back