How much meat to a comp.?

T

TOPPER-Q

Ok, newbie question. How much product (meat) to a comp?:confused:Just starting out and have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.
TOPPER.

What sanctioning body or is it non-sanctioned?
What catagories are you entering?

TIM

On a standard 4 meat KCBS comp I normally take a 16 pack of chicken thighs.
2 Briskets, 2 butts, and two racks of ribs. That's just for my comp meat. Not counting anything butt, Friday night dinners, or snacks.

YMMV

We cook two butts, two briskets, six racks of ribs, and a dozen thighs for every comp. We sell our leftovers to family, friends, and co-workers at cost to help with expenses. Good luck and have fun!

KCBS - 2 briskets, 4 butts, 6 ribs, and 12 thighs, 12 drumsticks and 2 whole birds. You can cook less, but if you screw up you might end up DAL, and you don't want that!! We also invite a lot of friends and family along to help eat.

I do 2 briskets, 2 butts, 24 chicken (untrimmed), 16 (trimmed), 4 racks ribs.

For KCBS, I was doing 2 Briskets, 4 butts, 6 racks or ribs and 24 thighs, but it was way too much meat to go through between turn ins.

Now I do 2 briskets, 2 butts, 3 ribs and 12 chicken and my results are much better.

12 thighs,2 racks,1 butt and 1 brisket....of course,we are cheap.

For KCBS and FBA we'll cook 2 briskets, 3 butts, 4 racks of ribs, and a 16 pack of thighs.

I'm getting out of this, that either the teams really like snacking on ribs, or I am way too confident I can find 6 good bones in two racks.
:shock:

For KCBS and FBA we'll cook 2 briskets, 3 butts, 4 racks of ribs, and a 16 pack of thighs.

KCBS -- we do almost the exact same.
2 briskets, 3 butts, 4 racks, and I usually buy 24 thighs but bring the best 16-18

I would probably not cook 2 briskets and try and just cook 1 higher end brisket. 2 choice briskets are going to run about the same as a prime or wagyu..almost. At least in these parts.

Chicken is cheap and I like at least 16 pieces trimmed...probably start with 24 pieces or so.

Ribs come in 4 packs at the RD in Atlanta so 2 racks per contest. Butts are in a 2 pack as well so 2 butts.

Someone mentioned that cooking too much meat just means more choices when boxing...that isnt exactly a good thing. It also means more cost and not just the meat costs. Cooking 2 briskets means twice as much rub, injection, braising liquid and sauce.

I also believe that if you are relying on quantity to get 6 pieces in the box you probably need to focus on cooking one right instead of hoping that one turns out right.

I would probably not cook 2 briskets and try and just cook 1 higher end brisket. 2 choice briskets are going to run about the same as a prime or wagyu..almost. At least in these parts.

Chicken is cheap and I like at least 16 pieces trimmed...probably start with 24 pieces or so.

Ribs come in 4 packs at the RD in Atlanta so 2 racks per contest. Butts are in a 2 pack as well so 2 butts.

Someone mentioned that cooking too much meat just means more choices when boxing...that isnt exactly a good thing. It also means more cost and not just the meat costs. Cooking 2 briskets means twice as much rub, injection, braising liquid and sauce.

I also believe that if you are relying on quantity to get 6 pieces in the box you probably need to focus on cooking one right instead of hoping that one turns out right.

Good point.
I should clarify...I bring two briskets, I only cook one. The other one stays in cooler as back-up.

1 Brisket: Been cooking 4 butts but might go to 2 this year: 6 racks of ribs only because them come 6 to a cryo (and they're popular with the sponsors the next week): 12 -20 pcs of chicken depending on what it looks like when I buy it.

1 Strube Ranch or 1 CAB Prime Brisket, 2 Butts, 14 Thighs, 4 Racks

Back