• 100 Gal. Air Tank Build (Offset)

Just a question because your work looks great.

Why not split those into 4 racks with a support in the middle so you don't have to slide those big racks out every time while also letting all the heat out of the pit?

Thought about that... but I needed a pig cooker and with the supports in the middle of the smoker like that it won't allow a hog to be laid across the entire cooking surface because the 2nd shelf support and slides get in the way. I ran into that problem with my last build... well not the build but the design of it... So this build is to make up for those short comings.

As for the heat issue, I figure that the 3/8ths steel of the tank itself will do a pretty good job as a heat buffer to minimize the time the pit takes to get back to temp... Also figure that it's not a pit that I'll be opening too regularly.

Appreciate the concerns, and yes I know it will be a bit more cumbersome at times but you gotta give and take for what you want I guess... Good looking out Brother :thumb:.
Cheers

Didn't do much tonight... Have a bunch of other work to do so I just spent about an hour when I came home tacking up the food grates... They are a little "singy" I think I might run a cross brace along the center of the length of the grates. Should dull it down a bit. They are just a little "loud" when they knock around. Thats it for today... I think progress is gonna be a bit slow until sunday. :cry:

Cheers

Hey Tish, did the popcorn stop at your place?
Phrasty, this build looks great! How are you doing a stop for the grates to prevent them from accidentally sliding all the way out?

Phrasty, this build looks great! How are you doing a stop for the grates to prevent them from accidentally sliding all the way out?

Nah! Smokingj disappeared, but somebody else hooked me up. Want some? :wink: Hey, Phrasty! How's the build coming today??? :-D

Phrasty, got a question. Trying to get accurate measurements on my tank and when I use the math, it comes up to about an inch and a half SHORTER than the measurement I get when I pull a string around the circumference. I'm using the 2*Pi*radius formula where the diameter is 24.5 so the radius is 12.25 when I multiply 2 times pi times radius I'm getting 76.999 (77) HOWEVER my "string" measurement is more like 78.5~78.75....

What do I need to do? I'm trying to cut my door out as 1/4 the circumference so it should go from 1/2 across to the top... the firebox needs to be 1/3 the circumference from the top of the door. Help a brotha out if you can... PLEASE...

Phrasty, got a question. Trying to get accurate measurements on my tank and when I use the math, it comes up to about an inch and a half SHORTER than the measurement I get when I pull a string around the circumference. I'm using the 2*Pi*radius formula where the diameter is 24.5 so the radius is 12.25 when I multiply 2 times pi times radius I'm getting 76.999 (77) HOWEVER my "string" measurement is more like 78.5~78.75....

What do I need to do? I'm trying to cut my door out as 1/4 the circumference so it should go from 1/2 across to the top... the firebox needs to be 1/3 the circumference from the top of the door. Help a brotha out if you can... PLEASE...

PM sent Brother!
Cheers

Math will not a good smoker make. Look at it this way, do you want 1 or2 racks? If it's 1 then picture what you will be putting on it. Same thing for 2 racks. That will be the size of the door. If you're doing bacon and brisket then a 20" door does not make sense. If you're doing whole pigs then the 20" does make sense. You can also make a second special purpose one. :p

Math will not a good smoker make. Look at it this way, do you want 1 or2 racks? If it's 1 then picture what you will be putting on it. Same thing for 2 racks. That will be the size of the door. If you're doing bacon and brisket then a 20" door does not make sense. If you're doing whole pigs then the 20" does make sense. You can also make a second special purpose one. :p

True, but the reason for the math was due to how I'm having to mount the firebox and it not being a reverse flow. Not wanting to be a thread jacker so I will start another thread and take some pics and try to get them posted up as soon as I can but being an ag teacher I don't have a lot of time to work on it except for during shop time so it may take a bit.:thumb:

BTW Phrasty, thanks for the PM Brotha. It helped me figure things out a little more clearly.

Another spectacular Phrasty build! Awesome! Subscribed!

Hope everything's going well for you down there, brother. How's the restaurant biz?

Thanks Sly! Don't think I'm gonna have stops for it sliding all the way out, but I am going to have tabs to stop it from tipping over, Dunno if that's what you meant? But I am going to do it like my last build. That design been working great for me.

attachment.php

Nah! Smokingj disappeared, but somebody else hooked me up. Want some? :wink: Hey, Phrasty! How's the build coming today??? :-D

Hey Tish... This week had been so busy! Don't you love it when work start creeping into fun time...? :tsk: lol such is life. I should get some more done over the weekend. Not counting on any major progress until then. :thumb: Want to redo the hinges and get some handles on. Think I have a pretty cool idea for that! :wink:

True, but the reason for the math was due to how I'm having to mount the firebox and it not being a reverse flow. Not wanting to be a thread jacker so I will start another thread and take some pics and try to get them posted up as soon as I can but being an ag teacher I don't have a lot of time to work on it except for during shop time so it may take a bit.:thumb:

BTW Phrasty, thanks for the PM Brotha. It helped me figure things out a little more clearly.

No Problem Brother. Thought you should take a look at this... Could shine some light on the math side for you and offer some proper size ratios for you to work with.

BTW, I was thinking.. since your tank is welded the other way, an easy way to find the straight line of the tank lenth-wise was to level your tank then where your horizontal center mark (from the side) comes around to the front you take your level and mark it off there to get the bottom line for your door. Did that make sense? Im not sure.. :heh:

Another spectacular Phrasty build! Awesome! Subscribed!

Hope everything's going well for you down there, brother. How's the restaurant biz?

Hey Sean, Thanks bro! Everything is good here man. No restaurant yet tho... Still catering. :thumb: One day tho! :wink:

Cheers

Will have my seat pulled up to watch the show this weekend, Phrasty. Can't get over how much you've accomplished with it already! Dying to see your cool idea. This just gets better and better!! :wink:

Hey Everyone! Didn't get TOO much done today. Had to be on the road for most of the day but I did do a couple detail stuff on the smoker. I fabbed the handles and installed them on the grates and I installed the hold downs for the grates as well. Also started another little detail part that I'll put on tomorrow. Should be pretty cool!

Here are the pics.

Smoothed off the welds and welded on the grate hold downs.
36a9bb25.jpg

Made a lil jig for the handles and installed them on the grates as well as I had put the tank on wheels earlier in the week so it was easier to move around.
6b066519.jpg

6465f05b.jpg

Here they are extended. Also installed the door stops.
b1bddcd1.jpg

Little sneak preview for a part I'm working on for tomorrow.
af451857.jpg

Thats it for now. Thanks for lookin.
Cheers

this project is coming along great. your thorough documentation is well appreciated here as someday i hope to build one of these :thumb:

Back