My Mini WSM Build (w/pics)

Nice work, for sure. If (who am I kidding WHEN) I build a third I'm just gonna drill holes in the bottom...would like to play around with that for a bit. My first two both have bottom cut out, with clay saucer...though I do like to cook with saucer removed from time to time...uds style!!

Once again, nice build brother. Wanna see some action shots!!

I bet this one didn't cost as much as that UDS did!

Great work on this lil monster. Enjoy it.

Not quite :)

Smokey Joe Silver - $30
Stainless Steel Pet Food Bowl - $4
Tamale Steamer Pot - $24
Clearance Price Grill to rob grate (and lid for another project) - $8.50
SS Nuts/Bolts/Washers - $10

Total - About $77

In reality, $45 because the Smokey Joe is still completely functional as a grill. This is a two-fer-one setup. I could have saved a couple bucks by NOT buying those stainless steel acorn nuts. They look nice but a 5 pack of the from Lowes was a little over six bux.

It's been running for 5 hours now and the temp is sitting fairly steady at 255°.

I also found a use for the tamale steamer insert from the pot. Inverted, it will work very well as a trivette for the pot if I need to take it off the kettle for charcoal and/or wood chip maintenance.

pot-$10
sjg-$10 or sjs-$10
ss hardware-$3
can-free
:wink:

Dam you find everything on CL or city garage sale or something 20 bucks for the whole build that's really cheap I paid about what OP did to make mine the other day got a pic too :heh:

2011-09-04%25252020.47.56.jpg

Dam you find everything on CL or city garage sale or something 20 bucks for the whole build that's really cheap I paid about what OP did to make mine the other day got a pic too :heh:

2011-09-04%25252020.47.56.jpg

That looks pretty nice! I think I'm gonna have to paint my tamale pot. What sort of paint did you use on yours? I'd like to use something that closely matches the gloss on the smokey joe parts but something that won't burn off...

That looks pretty nice! I think I'm gonna have to paint my tamale pot. What sort of paint did you use on yours? I'd like to use something that closely matches the gloss on the smokey joe parts but something that won't burn off...

I used a high heat engine paint from HD it said up to 500* so will see how it holds up I don't plan on cooking past 300*, if it doesn't last Ill get VHT paint next time. But ya it almost matches the smokey joe exact could use another coat.

Overnight the temp crept up a little so at the 13 hour mark, I closed the vent down to see if it will come back down. The vent was only barely cracked open to begin with. It's now at 275° at the 13 hour mark.

13 hours and the thing has only had a 20 degree spread in temperature (260, down to 255, and up to 275)? That is amazing for such a rudimentary project. I say rudimentary only because it's a pot sitting on top of a mini charcoal grill.

Seriously...why would anyone want anything other than this when cooking smaller quantities?

I used a high heat engine paint from HD it said up to 500* so will see how it holds up I don't plan on cooking past 300*, if it doesn't last Ill get VHT paint next time. But ya it almost matches the smokey joe exact could use another coat.

Nice build JM. I used high heat primer from an auto parts store and used Ace HW high temp gloss grill paint on top of that. One coat did it. But it was a pain taping the handles...at least for me...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315395346.476905.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315395346.476905.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 536
I have some high heat primer left over from my drum build so I will probalby give that a try along with some black.

At the 14 hour mark, the temp was back down to 255...

Ya JM did you build a charcoal ring and just fill that thing up? This is my charcoal ring doesnt seem like it would give me that long of smoke but will see when I get to use it brisket is a 1.50 a pound and we got a burn ban, well we have had one all summer and now we have fires that are out of control :mad:

2011-09-04%25252020.40.06.jpg

18 hours in, the temp had dropped to 200 degrees. I wasn't able to stay with it and watch... I opened the vents up to let some air in and it's back up to 225 now... I'm not going to continue counting the time on this... It will cook way longer than I'd ever want it to at this point.

I did not build a charcoal basket of any kind. I just loaded up the base of the Smokey Joe full when I started.

!!!!!!!!dang!!!!!!!!

I've got all the parts sitting in my garage waiting on me to have time - I'm gonna make some farking time! Thanks for posting - esp. about the burn time. :thumb:

Here's what the charcoal basket looked like as I started...

20110907_MiniWSM2_053.JPG

It was pretty full....

20110907_MiniWSM2_054.JPG

Six or seven lit bricks to get things started...

20110907_MiniWSM2_056.JPG

Here's what's left after 18 hours.

I did not add any charcoal during this process... I did add that single chunk of apple wood around the 14 hour mark just to keep some smoke coming...

Back