Very Simple Stainless UDS

Gents,

I finished my mock-up today, and I burned in the drum a second. Id like to burn in one final time tomorrow evening with a ton of wood and make ready for paint.

More to come..

SDC11146.jpg
SDC11150.jpg

JV

One question though...My drum contained new (clean) SAE 40 engine oil. What is the best way to make sure the barrel is safe for cooking? Ive burned and pressure washed, burned and pressure washing tomorrow, and Id like to load up one final time with a giant load of pallet wood.

Does anyone have an opinion on drum seasoning? LOL it seems like everyone in this forum has had some idea about using oil and charcoal. All ideas welcome. THanks for the UDS lesson(s).
JV

I just finished my ss uds as well. How did you go about the polishing steps to get it to look so good?

Nice build..

A picture of my build using a pre 1979 yellow weber lid.

Attachments

• IMG_0133 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0133 (Large).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 322
Keep that Drum Pron rolling these are all a work of art..Even the unpainted ones

Hesmellslikesmoke & Pual B, How did you go about polishing your SS UDS?

Hesmellslikesmoke & Pual B, How did you go about polishing your SS UDS?

HeavyD, I just got really lucky and my drum was already "Shiney":p:p. Then I went on a search for a SS lid and found one at: www.arcticproducts.com. You do have to call to get the lid separate, nice folks though.

Oh ya, the best part was I only paid $5.00 for the drum at a garage sale!!!!

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

Mine was an unused, unlined SS drum which was shiny to start with. I did use some "Never Dull" Polish Wadding to get fingerprints and smudges off.

Chef Jim made this suggestion a few posts up in this thread:

"I know of a product that will help you keep it looking like this if you are interested. It's called Ultra Seal and can be found at

http://www.polishplus.com

I works on motorcycle pipes and I use it on my SS gas grill."

I haven't used it, but I have it in mind when I think mine needs it.

Last edited:
Pual B.,

Did you have to modify the SS lid to fit? Because I know that a normal 22.5 weber lid does not fit properly on my SS drum.

DSCF5288.jpg
Pual B.,

Did you have to modify the SS lid to fit? Because I know that a normal 22.5 weber lid does not fit properly on my SS drum.

Why yes I did. Just about killed me to take a hammer to a perfectly good SS lid. I did have to do another mod to make sure it stayed on the top of the drum, take a look.

DSCF5294-1.jpg

DSCF5292-1.jpg

DSCF5288.jpg

This last pic kinda shows the pounded out lid if you look real close. The nut and bolts are there and angled in to act as a alignment aid to keep the lid on. The furnace gasket was needed to seal the lid to the barrel top.

Hope this helps on what I did. Most weber lids have to be fitted in a similar method.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
SS ROL

I've seen paul's drum ion person and I godda say the fit on the lid is great. Seals up really nice!

With a Barrel like that, you gotta call it a BDS (beautiful drum smoker)!

UDS stainless

First, my thanks to all the great contributions of the Brethren and Sistren in the UDS Thread. My goal was to use best ideas I saw to produce a very simple stainless UDS.

This has a Weber Performer Lid with the built-in thermostat and the stainless draft door from Big Green Egg.

SSUDS.jpg

Removable lid seal insert made from old Bar-B-Kettle bottom cut to leave 2" w/ Rutland stove gasket attached to it with high-temp silicon.

RemovableLidSeal.jpg

(Trial run last night was a 14 lb brisket packer, cooked at 300 degrees until probe tender in 5 1/2 hours. Outdoor temperature was low 20's w/ snow showers. Cooked it Lockhart style with outstanding results -- thank you Funk for all the great info you have shared.)

I am going to add handles, but not much more. I like the simplicity.

Where did you get the gasket and the green egg vent? I have been looking for them ever since I've seen yours. That looks really good. Thanks, Flex.

al3x_martin@yahoo.com

Where did you get the gasket and the green egg vent? I have been looking for them ever since I've seen yours. That looks really good. Thanks, Flex.

al3x_martin@yahoo.com

I got the BGE vent from the local BGE dealer and the Rutland gaskets from my Ace Hardware store.

The large/medium size BGE vent works with a 22 1/2" drum.

What is the sizes of the 2 rutland stove gaskets the flat and the rope?

Back