Brisket too fast? Neesd help

NFLNative

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 10lb brisket on my WSM and after 3 hours the meat temp is at 158 degrees. I'm cooking at 250. Why is it getting hot so fast or this normal?

It may be normal. Have you double checked the temp at the grate?

It is at or reaching the plateau temp. It will hang out around 160 to 170 for quite a while before the temp goes up much higher.

I've got one on the drum that was 154 at 3 hours. The temp rise should slow down or stall while the fat and connective tissue break down. Mines been on 5 hrs now and it's still 159. Normally I don't open the lid to check the temps this early in the cook, but I picked up a remote thermometer at Wallyworld yesterday. New toys :-D

That is normal. Every time I cook big pieces of meat I get concerned with the fast rise in temp early on. Then as time goes by, worry about the slowness of temp change and will it be done on time? 14 hours later, deliciousness!

I will tell you this for the first time and others for the 300th time. It does not make a difference how fast it reaches the stall point.... (microwave excluded - actually... microwaved pressure cooked its fine)

The best brisket in Texas according to the state legislature is God damn grilled just about, then its moved to slower cooking (250) after about 4 hours and at times it either rests in a pile or is placed in a sausage smoker to rest.

As long as the time spent smoking allows for smoke penetration (which we all know there is a point a brisket will no longer take any more smoke) and there is an adequate slow down after the stall (whether it cooks from its own heat and rests its way down, or you slow it down... you are good.

Your mistake will be what you do whenever your brisket says "I am Done." or I am "Nearly Done." NOT ANY DAMN INTERNAL TEMP saying its done but your brisket saying its done.

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught, well... like a brisket, each hot cousin you have has a different "done" point when you are probing and poking them. Also like a brisket... when your cousin is "done" you you don't need to spend time cuddling and telling her how good she was... you pull her off the tree stump you leaned her against and throw her her clothes and git!

LOL

BBQchef33; Edited to remove word censor over-rides.

Too funny. I wrapped it at 165 and it dropped back to 160. An hour later it is only 163

Mod Note : The example at the end of Donnie's reply may be seen as informative & humorous or questionable & troubling to some (though I do believe the age of consent in most states is 17...check with your local authorities). The content will stand but a few off topic replies have been removed questioning it to ensure this thread stays on topic of brisket cooking.
Thanks

Last edited:
Although Donnie said it in a much different way than I would have, I gotta admit he's right - about the brisket, anyway.

Hope your brisket turns out great! Let us know.

Mod Note : The example at the end of Donnie's reply may be seen as informative & humorous or questionable & troubling to some (though I do believe the age of consent in most states is 17...check with your local authorities). The content will stand but a few off topic replies have been removed questioning it to ensure this thread stays on topic of brisket cooking.
Thanks

You haven't seen the cousin either!

well after 10 and 1/2 hours I hit 200 degrees, took it off and let it rest for another 3 hours. It was a little dry but the flavor was great. This was my 5th brisket and I'm still trying to make one as good as the 2nd one I cooked.

hmmm okay... so... lets see.... 200, dry... next one... 185... not done enough... next one... 200 perfect... next one.... 200.. dry... what the fark man... next one.... 195.... needs more time... pull at 205... perfect...okay next one.... 205... dry... dammit.... next one 201.... dry...chit.... next one.... uh...uh... 185.... dry! what? next one... 180... dammit its not tender.... next one 190... perfect... next one... 190... perfect.....next one 190...dry..... sonofbyatch!!!! next one.... boiled... perfect.... next one boiled... dry>>>> what???

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught,

i'm gonna go out on the limb and say that most of us are not into incest

Everyone isn't, that's for sure. But I have heard of places where pumpkin isn't just a vegetable.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89188

Post 8

"...i will refrain from having sex with my 17 year old neice..."

Willy's BBQ

Heck we were talking cousins man... a niece... well... I'd refrain from that man if I were you too.

Allow me to make an example everyone can relate to: as anyone who has ever had to knock of a chunk of your sweet-assed 17 year old cousin while your wife unknowingly watches the kids, knowing at any time you could be caught,

i'm gonna go out on the limb and say that most of us are not into incest

Back