WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO DO PORK BUTTS?

On the UDS I rub heavy with spices (mainly salt, pepper, raw sugar and cumin) and leave unattended for 12 - 14 hours, 225 - 250 ish. I spray only if I have to pop the lid for some other reason (raise temp)

I tend to drain my pans of pork halfway through the cook now when possible. Results are less messy, Draining after the cook has caused slip hazzards :redface:

Have done several butts on a kettle grill and I find that my grate temp stays right around 250 if my dome temp is 300 or so. The butts take anywhere from 7-9 hours and I agree with disregarding the pounds per min thing and just be mindful of your internal temp (200 for me)
Also, I once had a pitmaster tell me once the only test he used to test for doneness in pork butts, is to grab the shoulder bone and if it slides easily its done, anyone use that tech?

I usually smoke a 9 pounder. Since they take so long, I put the cold butt on the smoker as it's coming up to temp and don't open the lid for 4 hours. After it has smoked for 4 hours, mop with 3 parts apple juice, 1 part oil, and 1 part cider vinegar. Move it to a 250 degree oven and mop every two hours. I actually prefer the taste of the oven-finished butt because more than 4 hours of smoke on a butt doesn't do much more than risk a bitter bark. If you're competing and finishing in the oven isn't an option, foiling is your best bet to not get too much smoke over the long haul. But I find that finishing in the oven is best for my sanity so I don't have to babysit the smoker for 14+ hours.

Well when I am smoking mass quantities of butts i smoke for 3 hours using hickory and cherry wood at what ever temp i can keep Bertha at depending on the weather. Then I wrap them and cook them for another 4 to 6 hours....let the owner of the butt pull and season.

When cooking a few for myself, I have always been told the meat will not take smoke for more than 3 hours...I smoke 4 hours to be safe....I inject Bishops 3 n 1 sauce and apple juice mixture and wrap for 6 hours....meat falls apart, touch up with a little Lot O Bull seasoning and more 3 n 1 sauce and you have the best pulled pork ever.

Once wrapped the oven will work fine and save on your wood supply. Sometimes i cook several and then freeze heat and then pull and season when needed.

All depends on how you like the results. I learned to cook PP when I lived in south east North Carolina. From the top, no brining, fat cap down, no mustard, fresh rub home made with no more than five ingredients, low and slow, no foil, no basting, no spritzing, no alcohol unless it's consumed during the cook, no soda except for the children, and cooked over oak if at all possible. That's it. Eastern North Carolina does have a reputation for fine BBQ.

:thumb:
All depends on how you like the results. I learned to cook PP when I lived in south east North Carolina. From the top, no brining, fat cap down, no mustard, fresh rub home made with no more than five ingredients, low and slow, no foil, no basting, no spritzing, no alcohol unless it's consumed during the cook, no soda except for the children, and cooked over oak if at all possible. That's it. Eastern North Carolina does have a reputation for fine BBQ.
That pretty much sums up my approach as well only I cook hotter.

Ha ha ha, love this place! I haven't been around in a while and haven't been home enough to do much smoking. But when my daughter asked me to do pulled pork for her baby shower, I couldn't refuse. So trying to remember some of the finer points I came to the Brethren and low and behold the sticky thread about butts I started way back when:-o A lot of folks have added good stuff here. I'm doing two 9-10 lb butts in my UDS tomorrow. Going to brine them over night and rub with Alton Browns simple six spice rub (cumin, fennel, coriander, chili powder, onion powder, paprika). And based on the weather I may smoke for 4 hrs/160-170 temp and finish in the oven.

Thanks guys!!! Glad your still here:-D

Back