View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
^^^^Yup.^^^^

4 hours seems real short even if you're cranking away at 350*... I did a hot & fast butt a few weekends ago @ 350* and at the 4 hr mark it was only @ 170*.
I'm at a higher altitude (3,500ft) but still, if your pit is at 350* you're not really smoking anymore... more like roasting over fire.

Is your thermometer right? boil water and get a reading (210 - 212*F) and then submerse in a glass full of crushed ice and water (32 - 34*F). This will let you know if its off at either end of the temp range...
I agree! 4 hours is not enough time to break down the collagen. That's why the bone did not pull freely. I had a butt get "stuck" once. It wouldn't go over 170 F internal. Hour after hour (cooker was at 225 F) it stayed at 170 F. I wrapped it and it still stayed at 170 F. I left it in the cooker for 12 hours total. It still was reading at 170 F so I took it out of the cooker and coolered it for 2 hours. It was as tender as a normal butt which I pull out of the cooker at 190-195 F. I believe time is a factor as well as temp.