Pull pork question

M

mcksr

I smoked a Boston Butt Saturday using my regular method, and when the internal temp was correct (about 4 hours of cooking) I took the meat off the smoker. After letting it rest for an hour, I prepared to pull the bone, but it would not come out without tearing it out. The meat was done, but the bone did not come out like it usually dose. Does anyone have an answer to why this may have happened?

Thanks for you advice,
North Florida Smoker
Mike

Seems like 4 hours is short, what was the internal temp?

Perhaps they've been feeding the hog superglue?....

My experience is that unless your internal temp is at least 190 it wont pull.

Not a lot of info to go by, but it sounds undercooked. What was the butt weight, the pit temp and the internal temp when you took it out? More importantly, how did it feel when you slid the them probe in? When the meat is done it should feel like the probe is going into warm butter (no or little resistance). This is the best test since some butts will reach this point at 180, others not until 205 internal temp.

It sounds to me like it was not done all the way through. Since meat is a natural product, I never consider there to be a 'standard' process, it is always gonna change a little.

190 degrees IT. I use a digital readout temp prob. I even moved it once to a different area just in case I was near or touching the bone. I used the same process as always.
North Florida Smoker
Mike

Not a lot of info to go by, but it sounds undercooked. What was the butt weight, the pit temp and the internal temp when you took it out? More importantly, how did it feel when you slid the them probe in? When the meat is done it should feel like the probe is going into warm butter (no or little resistance). This is the best test since some butts will reach this point at 180, others not until 205 internal temp.

^^^^Yup.^^^^

4 hours seems real short even if you're cranking away at 350*... I did a hot & fast butt a few weekends ago @ 350* and at the 4 hr mark it was only @ 170*.
I'm at a higher altitude (3,500ft) but still, if your pit is at 350* you're not really smoking anymore... more like roasting over fire.

Is your thermometer right? boil water and get a reading (210 - 212*F) and then submerse in a glass full of crushed ice and water (32 - 34*F). This will let you know if its off at either end of the temp range...

The probe test always works. I don't even take a temp. When the probes slides in easy its done. Every butt is different.

Use the bone as your guide if it wiggles freely than it's time to pull....

i did a pork booty last weekend and it took me 10 1\2 hrs to get to 185 internal, my cook temp was around 265-270

^^^^Yup.^^^^

4 hours seems real short even if you're cranking away at 350*... I did a hot & fast butt a few weekends ago @ 350* and at the 4 hr mark it was only @ 170*.
I'm at a higher altitude (3,500ft) but still, if your pit is at 350* you're not really smoking anymore... more like roasting over fire.

Is your thermometer right? boil water and get a reading (210 - 212*F) and then submerse in a glass full of crushed ice and water (32 - 34*F). This will let you know if its off at either end of the temp range...

I agree! 4 hours is not enough time to break down the collagen. That's why the bone did not pull freely. I had a butt get "stuck" once. It wouldn't go over 170 F internal. Hour after hour (cooker was at 225 F) it stayed at 170 F. I wrapped it and it still stayed at 170 F. I left it in the cooker for 12 hours total. It still was reading at 170 F so I took it out of the cooker and coolered it for 2 hours. It was as tender as a normal butt which I pull out of the cooker at 190-195 F. I believe time is a factor as well as temp.

What he said^^^^^:biggrin:

Back