injection marinade for beef brisket

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Smoking my first beef brisket this weekend. I'm looking for a good beefy flavor. Not Greek, not Latin, beefy. I'm planning on a salt and pepper rub. I don't have time to mail order a marinade so I'm wondering if someone could post a good injection marinade recipe that will help me achieve my goals. Also, how many hours before start time should I inject it? Thanks.

Oh Jesus. Please don't use an injection on your first try. Try to just nail the basics first.

When you were a kid and got first interested in injections, was she a ten? No, you worked your way up? Hold it.. mine was and still is a ten. Saw her on facebook at 44. hmmm bad example.

Look, everything you ever need to know about brisket was on Footloose. That scene where the guys are talking about getting to dance on the dance floor?

"Pick out the ugliest loneliest girl in the club and ask her to dance, then when they see you dance, all the girls will want you...." Then you can pull out the injection needle, start stabbing those puppies with your streams of salty stock and be careful that when you pull it out it doesn't dribble all over the carpet and stuff. Then, when your done, throw that little honey on a table and pull out your knife and slice her right down the middle and you can see how your injection colored her insides a bit. Its gross... and you wanna stick your mouth on something your injected your juices into?

Uh... we are talking about MEAT perverts! In case you went there.

Of course... I have already posted the ultimate injection. But you don't start there.

see ya next month

Oh Jesus. Please don't use an injection on your first try. Try to just nail the basics first.

When you were a kid and got first interested in injections, was she a ten? No, you worked your way up? Hold it.. mine was and still is a ten. Saw her on facebook at 44. hmmm bad example.

Look, everything you ever need to know about brisket was on Footloose. That scene where the guys are talking about getting to dance on the dance floor?

"Pick out the ugliest loneliest girl in the club and ask her to dance, then when they see you dance, all the girls will want you...." Then you can pull out the injection needle, start stabbing those puppies with your streams of salty stock and be careful that when you pull it out it doesn't dribble all over the carpet and stuff. Then, when your done, throw that little honey on a table and pull out your knife and slice her right down the middle and you can see how your injection colored her insides a bit. Its gross... and you wanna stick your mouth on something your injected your juices into?

Uh... we are talking about MEAT perverts! In case you went there.

Of course... I have already posted the ultimate injection. But you don't start there.

see ya next month

LOFLMAO...!!! Good one Donnie! :p

cameraman...if this is your first brisket I'd keep it simple at first (which is what I think Funk was alluding to...:twisted:). Just try a simple rub of salt, pepper, and a little garlic and onion powder. See how you like it with just the rub then go from there. Most folks (myself included) do not inject for home eats...only competition. Good luck! :biggrin:

briskett is to hard to get right for some people in the first place you should always start with the basics and go from there but briskett if smoked correctly does not need a marinade only salt pepper smoke and beer to drink while your smoking as it takes a while to smoke a good size briskett!! Good luck

Go with Donnie's advise and do a simple brisket to start. Time in grade will improve what you like from there. Simple is sometimes the best bro. Keep us posted.

CM,

I hope you not mis-interpret their suggestions... there was no bad intentions or bent noses infered. Brisket is known to be the one of the hardest cuts to master.

Anyone can give you suggestions on complex injections, marinades, and multi-layered rubs... however to begin with your first... complexity is not the first priority. The cooking technique is... as in its the cook, not the cooker mentaliyy.

If I don't know how to cook a brisket til its tender delicasy with a simple salt/pepper rub... the marinades, injections, and complex rubs will only be on a tough piece of meat I will not be happy with and not learn a thing about it.

Alot of us believe in the passion of the BBQ and the knowledge base within its forum.

Last edited:
I am still a newbie. These guys have helped me, and continued to help me, a lot.
My advice for your brisket, for what it's worth, comes down to 6 words.

"Keep it simple, low and slow."

and post pron so we can celebrate your success.

I like to use a rub that has hardly any salt if I'm going to let sit for 12+ hours than rub again after w/ salt and more rub then on to the cooker. I believe the salt pulls the moisture out when sitting for long periods of time. I'm sure alot of folks will disagree but I find that works for me. :wink:

I'm with the "no injection" crowd.

First time I would recommend kosher salt and pepper. You've got to learn the meat first. Understand what it does and what it tastes like.

So here's the plan at the moment. Start a minion fire at midnight and salt and pepper the beef (maybe add a little onion and garlic powder to the rub) Then back in the fridge until 1 am. Make adjustments to the vent working for the magic 225. Pull the meat at 1 and on the fire at 2 when I add more briquets and a couple of wood chunks. Then check and adjust every couple of hours until morning. Then check and adjust every hour until close. Then check as necessary. Pull at 205 (?) and then wrap and into the cooler until dinner. Where am I going wrong here?

The finishing time will only be determined by a tenderness probe (like an internal thermo). The feel for doneness should slide the probe under a light resistance... like drawing through soft butter. The temp will vary... anywhere from 180-205*.

Its the goal... the tenderness... not defined by finishing temp... if its not tender... its not done. There's a saying... its done when its done. No two briskets are the same. Time will vary... between 60 to 90 minutes/lb. based at 225-250*.

No magic all-seeing crystal ball .... its by feel.

Good luck

Pretty much what ^^^ said...sounds like an all nighter for you with all that checking and adjusting. What are you smokin' on?

A webber kettle. Luckily I am blessed with the ability to get up and go back to sleep. Do you think I can stretch out the checking if the fire appears stable and the fuel is holding up?

So here's the plan at the moment. Start a minion fire at midnight and salt and pepper the beef (maybe add a little onion and garlic powder to the rub) Then back in the fridge until 1 am. Make adjustments to the vent working for the magic 225. Pull the meat at 1 and on the fire at 2 when I add more briquets and a couple of wood chunks. Then check and adjust every couple of hours until morning. Then check and adjust every hour until close. Then check as necessary. Pull at 205 (?) and then wrap and into the cooler until dinner. Where am I going wrong here?

I will wait til others chiome in. maybe they will help

my only advise here is that 225 is definately not the "Magic Number" especially for a novice. Yes there are some people who do it well at that temp. But as I have said here many times, even if your GRATE temp is 225 you are cutting it close. Esp on a Weber. I hope you are not talking about the temp anywhere else but on the grate where the meat is.

Okay, so a few other things. Fat down. 225 is WONDERFUL for the first two hours to set the ring. Then I would punch that puppy up to 250-270 (not above in the case of your smoker though). Your rub will benefit from this temp as well. I trust you have seen my videos and know what I refer to.

Finally. take your probe and put it in the dishwasher for a cycle and at least for Brisket it will be as useful. Like the poster said above. its about the feel, not the internal. waiting until 205 will make it tender but some briskets are done lower (I have had one done at 170 right next to 40 others that pulled off around 180 to 190.)

For a good exercise on "feel" see my "Night Train Brisket"

Back