Anyone familiar with Michigan permits?

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I thought that someday, maybe some side catering jobs might be an additional source of income as well as some fun. I contacted the health dept and they steered me towards the STFU permit. I need to contact them again to find out exactly what is required to obtain this permit, but while reading the "getting started" sticky I heard about the "cook for hire" or "Personal chef ". Is there anything similar in Michigan? And how do you get around prepairing and cooking everything on site? I coud'nt imagine a customer wanting you on premises for a 17 hour brisket cook. And if you are cooking everything on site, I take it that you're gonna need a prep trailer set up as a hd certified mobile kitchen? I've read about maybe renting a licensed kitchen for prepairing things prior, but are they gonna want you hanging out for any lengthy period of time?

Just a few questions I thought I ask, thanks for any input.:grin:

firecrackerjack

Ok, well a long afternoon on the phone with the health dept, has gotten me some answers...Not that I necessarily like most of them($$$$, but hey I was looking for a challenge...I think?), but I think they'll get me going in maybe the right direction. There are no "cook for hire" or "personal chef" thingy's to get you around the permits or licenses. In order to cook on site your going to be at least required to have some sort of preparation area, sanitation and refridgeration provisions, and a plan that meets the h.d.'s approval. Renting a licensed kitchen from someone else is going to require you to operate to some degree under thier license(wouldn't want to try that without an attorney). Oh well it's a start and these are things that I can target more seriously as the cold winds blow through the winter months. Not that I wont be BBQing, cause that's a year round event!

Probably should have investigated a little further before posting this thread but thanks for looking it over and trying to help...

firecrackerjack

Sorry i caught this so late.

Theres no catering in Michigan. All the jobs are taken.

Have a great day! :cool:

It sounds like you are on the right track. Yes, it does cost money to do it properly. Yes, it is a PITA. Yes, it is necessary. After swallowing the reality of it, go to work on the problems one by one and knock them out. You will complete all the necessary requirements in time with work, money and perseverance.

There is always room for good caterers.

Sorry i caught this so late.

Theres no catering in Michigan. All the jobs are taken.

Have a great day! :cool:

Come on man, it's probably years in the making and it'll only be part time to get started....Besides I'm sure it could never compare:lol::lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

OK, ill throw ya a bone.

Good luck & hope to meet up sometime!

I thought you were giving tours of the dog house for a membership in to the GLBBQA?

Firecracker - He might even let you get your picture taken with the famous Red Wings drum. :biggrin:

I thought you were giving tours of the dog house for a membership in to the GLBBQA?

Firecracker - He might even let you get your picture taken with the famous Red Wings drum. :biggrin:

Ok....If somebodies got a famous Red Wings drum...I need to at least see a picture or something!!

firecrackerjack

See I told ya' I can't compare!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I aint got no Famous Red Wings drum:icon_pissed I'm like envious man:eusa_clap....I like the BBQ Brethren one too....But man, a BBQ tribute to those RED hot WINGS!!!!!!!!Your stylin'!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

firecrackerjack

I aint got no Famous Red Wings drum:icon_pissed I'm like envious man:eusa_clap....I like the BBQ Brethren one too....But man, a BBQ tribute to those RED hot WINGS!!!!!!!!Your stylin'!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

firecrackerjack

We bow to the drum master!
icon_bow.gif

A personal chef goes onsite and does the prep in the persons house. That makes it legal. You can bring your own smoker. If however you want tp do prep under an ezup and use their kitchen that is also legal. But you can't prep in an unlicensed trailer or your own home. That's always illegal.

I may have an STFU for sale soon. If you're interested email me.

A personal chef goes onsite and does the prep in the persons house. That makes it legal. You can bring your own smoker. If however you want tp do prep under an ezup and use their kitchen that is also legal. But you can't prep in an unlicensed trailer or your own home. That's always illegal.

I may have an STFU for sale soon. If you're interested email me.

Hey Ford, thanks for the shout. But now I'm confused, for one person from the health dept. told me that Mich. does'nt have a personal chef thing going on. And the second one I talked to wasn't clear about whether or not such a thing existed in Mich. but she did say that it would be entirely different than cooking for a large group. If I can't find accurate info from the health dept. where can I find It?:confused::confused::confused:

I'm still laid off Ford, so money's a real issue right now. But I figured that while I didn't have the money to invest, I could at least sort out some of the legal and buisness aspects of getting started. Was planning on getting that thouroughly investigated over these upcoming winter months, and hopefully have a part time start on things next spring.

I thought you just went through the hastles of getting your stfu permit, and now your selling? And you can sell them? Or were you refering to your equitment or something?

firecrackerjack:lol:

I'd like a bigger trailer if I can work it out. If you sel it then the new owner needs to renew the permit. It's less expensive than doing a full site plan. Do you have my phone number? If not email me and I'll send it and you can call some time to talk.

The HD isn't interested in the personal chef as they are not licensed. But they will tell you it's illegal if you do any cooking at home or don't use the clients facilities. Vending of coruse is a very different story as it's all regulated.

Back