• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beans for 600

Garth57

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any idea on how many 10# cans of beans to feed 600? They will be getting potato salad and brisket as well. I plan on doctoring up the beans with either sausage or chirizo, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, onions. This is a charity event.

I use 2 #10 cans in large alum pan which I figure will feed 50/70 easly.

Any idea on how many 10# cans of beans to feed 600? They will be getting potato salad and brisket as well. I plan on doctoring up the beans with either sausage or chirizo, bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, onions. This is a charity event.

The back of the can will suggest a serving size of approx. 24 ppl. 600/24 = 25

You will have a chit load leftover, so I would do 20 as well!

The 100 plus lbs of beans almost made it till the end. Could have used another couple of #10 cans. I guess those Marines like to eat. Del had made 27 briskets as well. Great time meeting young guys that had been back and forth to the middle east.

You always have to make adjustments based on the audience - down for mostly women, up for men, up up for marines and construction crews.

The 100 plus lbs of beans almost made it till the end. Could have used another couple of #10 cans. I guess those Marines like to eat. Del had made 27 briskets as well. Great time meeting young guys that had been back and forth to the middle east.

You did not say Marines :shock:

In my world, 600 people is 10 deep steam pans of beans, assuming other sides. I use 2.5 cans of beans per pan then add Onion, BBQ Sauce, Rub, Pork / Brisket and Molasses. I use 1 Can Bush's Baked Beans, 1 Can Great Northerns, and 1/2 Can Pintos.

I almost always figure a 4 ounce serving of beans. I insure a 4 ounce serving by using Chinet 3 Compartment Plates---that have a 4 ounce serving area for side dishes, and I always put a 4 ounce serving ladle in the beans. This way even in an open buffet line I can control serving size.

I never use canned beans----but we won't start that arguement again----if I was using canned beans I would read the volumn of the can --convert it to ounces ---then divide the total ounces by 4 to determine number of 4 ounce servings.

Bean Arithmetic for dry beans : One pound of beans equals 2 cups of beans. 3 pounds or 6 cups of beans will make 50 four ounce servings. So for 600 people I would use a mimimum of 36 pounds of dry beans. I would add 12 pounds of bacon or other meat and several ham shanks.

I used cans of pinto, kidney, black beans along with chopping up red onions, bell peppers (red, green, yellow), brown sugar, molasses, my own bbq sauce, cumin, chili powder, apple pie filling (diced small), ketchup, mustard. Smoked em on the bbq for 3-4 hours.

Back