38th Q: Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu Boneless Pork Belly & Worstjes [Pr0n0graphy]

That all looks great! Will you share the recipes and details of the cook?

BTW, what's in the pot in the middle of the grill?

I know, I used to talk more in my previous cooking reports :wink:

The problem is, I am very short of time right now, which is also the reason why I just now posted that pr0n0graphy also the cook took place last Saturday.

The idea derived from my preparation thread thanks to landarc.

The pork belly was left untrimmed and marinated in Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu marinade overnight, then put on at 225°F for about 5 hours. I totally omitted measuring IT during the cook, didn't even install the meat probe of my Maverick. After 3 hours I basted it with thickened marinade, some more basting an hour later, and pulled it after a total of about 5 hours. Short resting in the oven, then slicing. It was nice in that state, but way too fatty for our taste, so it got cubed, sauced with more marinade, and put back on like pork burnt ends. Turned out as Chinese style pork candy, which I pretty much ate pure without anything else right from the tray. Next day it was served with rice.

As much as I liked the idea, I'm affraid I am not allowed to play more with pork belly, as the wife demands a long and healthy life for both of us, and I totally agree. :smile:

The pork belly was treated with the marinade only:
Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu
2 tbs Hoisin Sauce
2 tbs Dark Soy Sauce
1.5 tbs Rice Wine
2.5 tbs white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp catsup
1.5 tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup honey
So it was laying marinated in a vacuum sealed plastic bag overnight, got basted with thickened marinade during the cook, and the cubed pieces got sauced with thickened marinade as well. No rub or anything else.

The pot in the middle of the lower cooking grate contained our award winning 'Essense of Q' sauce, which otherwise had no role in this cook. I have no recipe for that sauce, my wife mixes it up as she goes along with it, this time it was a low-carb variation. The super secret ingredients are fat and juices dripping down from the pork on the upper cooking grate into the pot, and although the fat gathering at the top gets discarded as thoroughly as possible, it adds a fantastic layer to the flavor profile.

Back