Maverick transmitter placement.

Highcal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My UDS is almost ready, just need to do a burn out so I picked up a Maverick ET -733 to have it ready to go. I see some people hang the transmitter right on the drum, some people have a shelf on their drum where they place the transmitter and others have the six foot probes and have the transmitter quite a distance away.

So how far away does it need to be ?? Would a few inches away be enough to protect it from heat ??

Here is a couple pic's of my set up, its held on by a magnet and I can adjust the distance out from the drum another inch or so, but would rather have it as close to the drum as I can without killing it with heat.

IMG_00000175_zps9b0fedac.jpg

IMG_00000174_zpsae428971.jpg

IMG_00000177_zps53707e55.jpg

When I had a WSM, I hung my 732 from the door handle (using the included clip) with no issues. Many folks do the same. It was closer than yours. I can't imagine the heat radiating from your drum is any greater than a WSM. I think you are fine.

Damn near identical to what I use on my WSM 18.5. I've never had an issue with the transmitter getting too hot.

Attachments

• WSM.jpg
    WSM.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 156
Ok, because I have not yet fired this baby up I had no idea how hot the outside of the drum gets.

Stanchez, how did you connect your transmitter to your magnet ??? I would rather not had to fab a tray, I like how yours is without a tray.

That's a cool mod. Like to have build details if possible.

Currently, I have mine from the lip where the barrel and lid meet. I make sure that I put the mount hook between the lip of the barrel and the lid, this keeps the Maverick about more than an inch from the barrel. I checked it the first couple times I used it and it wasn't hot, so now I don't worry about it.

I would also like to see how that clip was made. That looks cooler than the two magnetic hooks I use.

Soon hopefully they'll come out with thermometer transmitters that will have completely wireless probes....dang that would be nice.

I just hang mine from the lip. it hangs and rests on the side of the drum. doesn't get hot enough to bother it... so far....

Nice Mods. I'm runnin' Redneck style:

in6fqb.jpg

Have installed a grommet since this pic so no wire leads running under the lid.

I would also like to see how that clip was made. That looks cooler than the two magnetic hooks I use.

I do not know about Stanchez's set up, but mine was made with junk I had in my shop at work and a magnet I picked up at Ace Hardware the last time I was in the US. The bracket is a forklift headlight bracket and the tray I fabbed from a small piece of sheet metal I had layin around.

I'm happy to hear that heat destroying my Maverick will not be an issue.

Well, I'm a pack rat and I basically made this mount with junk I had lying around. I started with a magnetic wreath hanger that I swiped from my Christmas obsessed wife, cut off the hook, cut and bent a piece of strap from a sink drain. I then disassembled the the Maverick snap mount and bolted yoke part to the whole works with a nylon washer to insulate it from the metal strap. While the magnet can get quite hot its far enough away from the cooker that the transmitter stays nice and cool.

Attachments

• Bracket 1.jpg
    Bracket 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Bracket 2.jpg
    Bracket 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 57
Keep it simple, I like your idea, I did not think about just using the clip to attatch it to the magnet.

Back