Plowboys Brisket Rub

MattG

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It seems to me that the Plowboys beef rub has a good bit of cinnamon in it. Do you taste that in the end product? I LOVE Plowboys pork rub. Im just not a big fan of cinnamon. :biggrin:

Matt, to be honest, I've never noticed there is cinnamon in it...I am assuming you mean Bovine Bold. What I can tell you is in it is a great combination of spices. Try it, you'll like it. I'm sure others will chime in, or you could PM Todd.

But, I have cooked with cinnamon before in chili and never can taste it in the end. FWIW. YMMV.

Different strokes for different folks. I pick up cinnamon in a lot of most peoples' favorite products, Blues Hog for example. You gotta find what works for you.

Thanks Dan, Im sure its good stuff. Just wondering about that cinnamon smell/taste. We use the yardbird all the time. (Love it on Ribs) Just havent used the Bovine on a brisket yet. This Thurs Im cooking 2-3 briskets for our church and I have some Bovine that Im thinking about useing.

Matt,
It you have a chance between now and your church cook, use the Bovine Bold on a steak and see what ya think...just a thought...

I find the Bovine Bold to be very similar to the beef rub I make. No cinnamon in mine, and I can't say I taste it in the Plowboy's either, but then again I'm out and can't verify.

I like a 50-50 blend of Bovine and Yardbird on my spare ribs.

Good luck with your cook for church. My church loves it when I cook for them too!

I'm not a fan of cinnamon or nutmeg in rubs but my wife is. The Bone Suckin' rub tastes like a Christmas cookie to me, but my wife loves the stuff.

I have some BB but haven't noticed any cinnamon. But, I haven't tried it on any meat yet either.

I just ran across this at bass pro and had to give it a try because its raved about so highly here. I plan to do write ups on my blog of all my different bbq stuff, but this is a different time and place.

The bovine bold is okay. I taste the cinnamon and it has a hint of heat to it. I taste all rubs before they ever see the meat to see if it melts together nicely, and it does. However, for the price it tastes like a doctored up PAPPYS. I personally am not a huge fan of pappys because it easily overpowers the food you put it on. Sorry to rain on anyones parade. This is my palettes POV only.

I'm using Bovine Bold on my briskie today. I'll let you know what I think. I loved it on some spares I made two weeks ago.

Back