Need a great smoker (Pellet Smoker Doesn't Smoke, Cooks too hot)

I eliminated the big green egg because I read that it did not have intense smoke flavored meet, etc...

if you can still get your money back if you arent happy, a UDS is probably to way to go for price/performance. The CGs produce good Q but i think they require too many mods / jury rigging to be efficient. Even a WSM or a ProQ excel can and will produce top quality Q with a low investment and even less babysitting.

Regarding your earlier comment about not having big smoke flavoring on the eggs, I beg to differ. So far my low and slows on the egg have produced nothing but top quality que. It is NOT a stick burner of course, but i'm getting nice bark (my favorite), beautiful smoke rings, and great smoke without being overpowering.

My Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain gas smoker did pretty decent Q with fairly little babysitting - the food lacks the charcoal bark though, and it was pretty easy to overpower food by doing an extra smoke box of chips.

Your erratic temperatures could be a function of the size of the pellets you're using. How long are they? The longer they are, the less consistent the feed is to the burn pot. Causes wide swings, especially in this hot weather.

The CS pellet engine on the lowest (manual) setting, on that small size 420 grill, will produce a cooking temperature about 110 to 120 degrees above the ambient temperature. So when the weather is 90 outside, your minimum temp is 200 to 210. The digital MAY be able to control a little lower than that but you need a certain amount of pellets in order to prevent a flameout.

Now for your smoke flavor, pellet grills just have a "different" type of smoke flavor than a stick and/or charcoal burner. I've had my CS570 for a year now and have tried extra smoke boxes, add on smoke generators, changed the air outlets, etc. There's just no way the two cookers will ever taste the same. Now that's not to say the pellet grill flavor is bad, quite the contrary as they win lots of contests. But it is certainly different. There are other threads covering this topic on this site as well as on Pelletheads.com. Good luck!!

Get a stick burner for that deep BBQ mahogney color and flavor! YMMV
I am so glad you said that and not me... LOL...

I won't pretend to know the Pellet Pooppers, I don't have one, never have in the past and to be honest, I don't see one in the future... I love my stick burner and 'The Mistress' isn't going anywhere...

As for your comments on the BGE not giving enough smoke flavor, I've actually over smoked meat on it when it first arrived.

If I may be so bold, I would like to make a few recommendations...

As mentioned earlier, what kind of smoke are you looking for out of the exhaust ports? (Again, I don't know your experience level so please don't hold it against me.) If you think that you have to have a thick, white, dense smoke coming out, your going to be in for a surprise. That is the smoke of incomplete combustion and creosote. A thin, transparent, blue smoke should be your goal. This smoke shows that the combustion is more complete and the heavy oils found in the wood (pellets) is being burned so that only the flavor is passing on to the food.

Try cooking at a higher temp. It's going to be real tough to get a pork but up to 205-210* when the cooker is staying at 200*... The 225-250 range is fine and is still considered 'Low and Slow' and should produce a good smoke flavor.

Remember that while the smoke ring stops forming when the meat gets to roughly 142*, the flavor is still being absorbed by the meat beyond that point, so keep it on there...

It sounds like you are doing a fair amount of fish. The species you are talking about can handle the higher temps that other fish cannot. Again, give the 225* area a chance.

I hope this helps, and remember "Stick Burners Rule!!!!" LOL

Pellets are not long.

I have no experience really. So that smoke comment was good advice. No worry's about offending me at all.

I was able to maintain 210 and 225 pretty well yesterday. It was late but I think the thin blue smoke was more prevelant at 225.

I have two 3.5 chickens ready to roll for the morning. I am putting on at 7:40 and will be home around 5 to check on them. Can I cook those for that long on 225?

How do you get these pellet smokers to not jump to 600 degrees for about an hour after you start them? I do not want to have to get up too early to get the grill to running temp. Maybe I have to take the grates off and steel some pellets out before it gets going too hot?

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards a big green egg but I really wish I could test one or talk to someone who primarily smokes for long hours with theirs.

Daryl

I just got a cookshack essential am very pleased with the results. Still there is a learning curve and I am still learning.

Pellets are not long.

I have no experience really. So that smoke comment was good advice. No worry's about offending me at all.

I was able to maintain 210 and 225 pretty well yesterday. It was late but I think the thin blue smoke was more prevelant at 225.
I think you are getting a better burn at the 225* mark than lower... I seem to recall Billy (Fatboyz) talking about how the 'Smoke' setting on his was around 180* and it pumped out tons of white smoke... I could be wrong, but you could always touch base with him...

I have two 3.5 chickens ready to roll for the morning. I am putting on at 7:40 and will be home around 5 to check on them. Can I cook those for that long on 225?
That's like a nine hour cook, and for me, unless they are the size of a 25 pound turkey, is a bit long... I would go for, depending on the size, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours max....

How do you get these pellet smokers to not jump to 600 degrees for about an hour after you start them? I do not want to have to get up too early to get the grill to running temp. Maybe I have to take the grates off and steel some pellets out before it gets going too hot?
Again I have no direct experience, but I do recall some thing about having to cleaning the fire chamber prior to use... This may be your problem...

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards a big green egg but I really wish I could test one or talk to someone who primarily smokes for long hours with theirs.
Check in your area for a store that sells BGE's... The one near me almost every weekend have something cooking on one...

I suggest you check out the food handling and safety section. Not all foods like 225*.
I'd also try a secondary thermometer to make sure your inside temps are really what you think they are.
Spend more time reading threads in Qtalk, a great source of knowledge shared by all.
You'll soon see it's how the cook uses the cooker to turn out good product.
Best of luck!

Keep it simple! Stick with the 225 - 250 degree range and you'll be fine. Also, forget about the thick white smoke because that's the last thing you want! Like the others have said, thin blue smoke is ideal. Smoke flavor will be attained by having the right pellets, not the amount of white smoke billowing out of the stack.

Good luck.

Hi Daryl,

Old post, but wanted to see if you found a solution to your smoke issue? I've been considering eggs, pellets, charcoal, and sticks. What you say about the pellet issue is one of the reasons why I'm steering towards something else other than pellet.

Convenience is nice, but the main goal is food flavor. Unless of course it becomes too complex (or expensive) to achieve good food flavor.

From the comments I've read here and elsewhere, seems that stick burning is the flavor gold standard. Buy a quality stick burner, and you'll have the best. Everything else is a compromise between flavor and convenience. At least that's the impression I get from my forum reading.

Jake

Interesting read...did you ever get your smoke issue worked out? I have never operated a pellet cooker, but I cannot imagine it would generate much of a smoke flavor (compared to stick burner). I have had large stick burners, gravity cookers, and Primo ceramic...I got great que out of all of them and currently do all my cooking on the primo...I have never oversmoked something in it and you do not get the same taste as on a stick burner - the sticks have a deeper smoke flavor that really gets into the meat more imo....the eggs and primo are great all around cookers - can grill, bake, bbq, cold smoke, etc and I cannot imagine not having one, but I am also going back to sticks for my main que because I like the product they put out a little better.

Hi Daryl,

Old post, but wanted to see if you found a solution to your smoke issue? I've been considering eggs, pellets, charcoal, and sticks. What you say about the pellet issue is one of the reasons why I'm steering towards something else other than pellet.

Convenience is nice, but the main goal is food flavor. Unless of course it becomes too complex (or expensive) to achieve good food flavor.

From the comments I've read here and elsewhere, seems that stick burning is the flavor gold standard. Buy a quality stick burner, and you'll have the best. Everything else is a compromise between flavor and convenience. At least that's the impression I get from my forum reading.

Jake

He hasn't been back since July 5th, 2009...

huh..I thought it was this year it was posted! I guess I should look a little closer!

The Green Mountain Grills are one of the few pellet grills that actually operate on the temps set on the thermostat. The other grills have settings for on/off auger times, but they are only approximates. Set the temp at 200 and have to adjust on.off times for the auger via "p" settings stinks. I have a GMG and set the temp anywhere from 150 to 500 and the grate temp stays constant. It is a few degrees above the thermostat , but steady from start to finish, no big sways of spikes. Just took 1st place ribs and butt, 3rd place brisket, with my GMG and cookinpellets.com 100% hickory pellets. Some pellet poopera are bad designs, but so are some stick pits. Don't sell them sort and if yours isn't working right, get the mfg to fix it!

Obviously we're too late but if he wasn't getting a drop of smoke flavor I would suspect the circulating fan wasn't working.

Check your units start up procedure as far as the initial temp setting. My GMG goes through the start up process and then sets the temp at 320. If I stand by the several minute procedure I can set the temp anywhere I want after start up is done, and at that point it's only at about 125. If I set it to 180 it will go to about 200-210 and then back down, about 5 minutes to do that. Pellets brands can also cause different temps.

Check your units start up procedure as far as the initial temp setting. My GMG goes through the start up process and then sets the temp at 320. If I stand by the several minute procedure I can set the temp anywhere I want after start up is done, and at that point it's only at about 125. If I set it to 180 it will go to about 200-210 and then back down, about 5 minutes to do that. Pellets brands can also cause different temps.

Yes. I figured it out. After several buys I found that I need 2 smokers. 1 cookshack for wife (she loves it and it has its purposes and is easy to operate and food comes out smoky with 1 -2 chunks of wood) and 1 side burner with mods for evenest heat AND smoke distribution to minimize flippings. And a place for a water pan for huge smoke ring. I nailed it last time I smoked and I was delighted. I am still trying to see if a guy can make something not rinky dink like mine so I will explain later.

By the way, I was using cookshack happily for a year except no smoke ring and hard to get bark. Found a 1/2 size barrel smoker on craigslist for $20 (thought it was full size) and that was the best thing that could have happened to me. I personally have not turned on the cookshack since I bought an modded the new one. Who would of thunk for $40 you could get perfect everything.

I used both mesquite from traeger and also 100% hardwood from oscheln farms.

Change your pellets. I think the Traeger pellets are just awful. Once you try something else, you'll see.

Try ordering some of the Cookshack pellets or the BBQ Delight pellets. Both of them use a good blend of wood (you need base wood for BTU's and flavor wood for flavor).

was using cookshack happily for a year except no smoke ring and hard to get bark.

Key point to bark in a CS is you want to reduce the humdity level. It's VERY high in the CS and I would open the door occassionally to dump some humidity (it will also increase the cooking time).

SR is a function of having enough nitrates to "cure" the meat and for that you need more nitrates. Try adding a chunk or two of charcoal. Works well for that.

FYI, I moderate the CS forum so if you have any questions just ask or contact me direct (or over at that forum)

Russ

Back