Weber Lid question

codger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
One of the two UDS's I've got has two racks, so I have the drum's own lid and a weber lid I use. I like the way it cooks with it's own lid over the weber, my question is has anyone just drilled somemore holes in a weber lid? Maybe it wouldn't,but seems like that might make it cook more like the other lid does. Everything else about the UDS has been kept very simple. The weber lid is an old castaway type so I don't firgure I'd lose much from drilling. Thanks for any suggestions.

I think that I know where he is going with this question.

Of the two UDS builds I have done - one drum lid had a bunghole while the other did not.

In my opinion, the lid of the drum that I drilled the 8 evenly spaced holes in seems to cook a bit better than the drum that has the bung hole.

I am assuming that the even airflow with my drilled lid is what is making the difference between the two drums.

However, in my opinion, it is splitting hairs - as both of my drums have been producing some great eats since I have made them.

Yep, just curious as to wether I could even out the cooking by putting more around it.

I think that I know where he is going with this question.

Of the two UDS builds I have done - one drum lid had a bunghole while the other did not.

In my opinion, the lid of the drum that I drilled the 8 evenly spaced holes in seems to cook a bit better than the drum that has the bung hole.

I am assuming that the even airflow with my drilled lid is what is making the difference between the two drums.

However, in my opinion, it is splitting hairs - as both of my drums have been producing some great eats since I have made them.

I see, it does make sense that holes spaced around the top could make an evener cook...

Yep, just curious as to wether I could even out the cooking by putting more around it.

I wonder if you got a second vent cover & popped some holes opposite of the lid handle how that would improve things.

With the second vent - it would still have that 'factory' look to it.

If I ever get an opportunity to save a Weber from the trash heap - that is probably something I would try.

I think if you add another daisy wheel oppisite the one on there, you might get close to the same result.

I've been thinking the same thing, and I saved the vent covers from the bottom of the weber kettle before tossing the scraps after my build, I might give this a try, its certainly not going to hurt anything.

I'll post if seems to help, next cook is on T-day!

Here is a pic when I was using the UDS with a bunghole at a tailgate party making beer butt chicken.

It seemed like the chicken closest to the bunghole cooked faster than the others and browned more. The bunghole was on the right (side opposite of the adjustable air intake valve).

I haven't made multiple birds on the other UDS yet - but I bet that with the evenly spaces holes, all the birds will probably brown together closer to the same rate.

If/when I get that Weber - this will be the UDS that will be modded for the new lid.

59022_435042454372_686034372_4931518_2335098_n.jpg

I used to be all over the Weber lid on the drum, but unless I happen to be using a rotisserie, or a cooking bunch of beer butt chicken, the drum lid is my preferred way to go.

Back