Judging And Food Allergies

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have wanted to take a judging class for quite some time now. Recently it occurred to me that since alot of cooks have secret ingredients that can be a little out of the norm for BBQ, I wonder what the chances are of a judge being allergic to something in a rub or sauce. Obviously people who judge don't have any problems with the typical ingredients, or they wouldn't be judging.

But lets say for example that I am a judge. I am mildly allergic to soy, and strongly allergic to peanuts. If someone puts some soy sauce into their Q, I most likely won't notice. However if somebody decides to rub their ribs with peanut butter, or mix some into their sauce, then I have a problem if that entry comes my way. I certainly won't be able to continue judging, so what happens then?

Anybody ever seen anything like this happen?

Thank God I have not seen this happen (yet). Just a wild arsed guess on my part, but if you even think that you might be alergic to any type of food what the h*ll are you doing judging a food comp??? This just sounds like a recipe for disaster or a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'd say that any person who even thinks that there might be an alergic reaction should stay the h*ll out of the judging tent.

Thank God I have not seen this happen (yet). Just a wild arsed guess on my part, but if you even think that you might be alergic to any type of food what the h*ll are you doing judging a food comp??? This just sounds like a recipe for disaster or a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'd say that any person who even thinks that there might be an alergic reaction should stay the h*ll out of the judging tent.

Agreed. Don't take any chances. No way of knowing what the cooks use. And believe me they use about everything.

To put it succinctly, anyone with alergies to anything even half way likely to wind up in a contest entry should be extra cautious and not judge. I've never seen anyone have a food alergy reaction during a judging, but I have met one judge who --believe it or not -- is alergic to pork. He loves judging and adapts to his alergy by limiting his activities to table captain, turn-in table, and grazing table work. This way he still enjoys the fun and fellowship of judging but avoids his alergy problem.

Many food allergies are due to the amount; for instance, hubby can tolerate cilantro in the small amounts often found in BBQ, but the volume used by some Mexican restaurants can give him problems. I'm allergic to seafood, and the only problem I've ever had at a BBQ contest was at an ancillary category, and they just asked me to sit out that round. But generally, the rep asks during the judges meeting if anyone has an allergy problem and tries to have them serve in another capacity; they try to have the same people judge all 4 meat categories.

I *do* recall meeting a judge at a BBQ contest who told me she was a vegetarian and didn't eat meat under any circumstances...I think she did turn-in table at that contest. I never could figure out what she was doing, being a BBQ judge, in the first place - maybe trying to make a point?

Lynn H.

To put it succinctly, anyone with alergies to anything even half way likely to wind up in a contest entry should be extra cautious and not judge. I've never seen anyone have a food alergy reaction during a judging, but I have met one judge who --believe it or not -- is alergic to pork. He loves judging and adapts to his alergy by limiting his activities to table captain, turn-in table, and grazing table work. This way he still enjoys the fun and fellowship of judging but avoids his alergy problem.

Very interesting, since I am allergic to pork, it has kept me from pursuing judging.

I've come across this before because some judges get angry when they get major headaches due to an allergy to MSG. There are many capacities in which you can be a part of BBQ but if you have ANY sort of food allergy, BLIND JUDGING is not one of them!! Especially if your allergy is to MSG, which is an ingredient in a lot of BBQ products, and you know that people put that in products. You should excuse yourself from the actual blind judging portion of things.

Fortunately my peanut allergy is not severe enough to send me to the hospital or anything like that. Worst case scenario for me is that I would be unable to finish judging that day. However there are others for whom it can be deadly. I agree conpletely that these people should definitely not judge.

Seems you are being smart by asking for advice. :-D

I like the idea that you can still be involved, but not in the blind part.

As for any judge who does have a serious allergy, and sits down at the table to blind taste...
seems they get what they are asking for.

If someone is physically challenged, firefighting is not the best fit as a job or a volunteer gig.
Would think the same for a food allergy blind taste judge.

Very interesting, since I am allergic to pork, it has kept me from pursuing judging.

I am allergic to pork too but that doesnt stop me. I dont always get a ahem reaction.

(A reaction for me doesnt mean eppy pen, it means where is the johnny)

Fortunately my peanut allergy is not severe enough to send me to the hospital or anything like that. Worst case scenario for me is that I would be unable to finish judging that day. However there are others for whom it can be deadly. I agree conpletely that these people should definitely not judge.

I dont know of anyone using peanuts in their barbecue, but I know plenty use peanut oil in seasoning their smokers. Not having allergies myself, I'm asking if this would present problems for the peanut allergy person?

Oh, hey, possible peanut oil used in/with chicken... I know in ancillaries we definitely use peanut oil (like for hot wings as an example).

Back