• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Against the rules for KCBS contest?

Is this why some teams do their prep work under their Ezups with all 4 side panels down while they work under lights?

Just my memory thinking out loud here.

OK, no more complaining about the board micro managing. If someone asks they'll have to make a ruling on this. What does Jeff think? LOL!

OK, no more complaining about the board micro managing. If someone asks they'll have to make a ruling on this. What does Jeff think? LOL!

I heard the pork issue began right here.
I heard the controversy about.. oh well it all began right here!

Merl

I saw a top team do this to their chicken at a contest this year. I wondered the same thing. Perhaps this does need some clarification by the board?

Was it wrapped in papers? Maybe they were trying to "smoke" their chicken.

Everyone knows that Jeff shaves his chicken.

No. I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped. I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

If your question was meant to be humorous I am sorry that it went over my head. :icon_blush:. If not, I would be interested to hear of this "smoking" meathod you speak of. :lol:

No. I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped. I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

If your question was meant to be humorous I am sorry that it went over my head. :icon_blush:. If not, I would be interested to hear of this "smoking" meathod you speak of. :lol:

Apparently, not that humorous.

Interesting question Dan, I often wondered if others would construe the use of a butane flame to remove my chicken hair, which is why, in the abundance of caution, we use Nair for men.

I prefer the lotion to the spray, I feel the residual material adds to the resulting texture of the skin. Please do not repeat this tip, as I am very aware of the chatter on various forums regarding "blue bottles" and chicken.:lol:

(and it is only early January):shock:

Is this why some teams do their prep work under their Ezups with all 4 side panels down while they work under lights?

Just my memory thinking out loud here.

musicmanryann;1134680No. [I said:
I actually thought it was a great idea, you know the way the pros do it on tv, to remove the extraneous feather hairs. I then started to do it at the very next contest and thought, "wait a second, this might be construed the wrong way" and I immediately stopped.[/I] I hadn't really thought of it again until it was brought up here. Personally, I don't think it is cooking, and therefore should be okay, but when at a contest I don't want to do anything that could even be interpreted incorrectly as being against the rules.

Actually, the safest way to do it is prep the chicken at home where no one can see you use the torch...:icon_cool

Yet another area that we don't need input from the board on... :)

I think Jorge had a nice succinct answer. It is part of prep, before anything else is done. Removing a stray feather is removing a stray feather. regardless of how it is done. IF we call that cooking, then aren't we all illegal? - the feathers were removed with scalding water or steam as part of the processing. So applying heat to the bird could potentially have started the cooking process, yadda, yadda...:rolleyes::p

:tongue:Dan - not a dig at you, since I know you prefaced this question with winter bordem...:tongue:

But another question in general...
At what point do we simply look to common sense to tell us vs. getting a ruling. If cooking is not the outcome, or the intent... why it is even in question? We need to have protections in place to avoid something like burning off a feather consuming board room time, right? If intent to defraud, cause some sort of malice, or provide an unfair advantage is the intent, then by all means put a rule in place to stop it... But for things such as this that seem so common sense, why would we cast any doubt?

Kinda like needing an "interpretation" of a rule that has been around forever. :cool:

Burn off a feather if you want, pluck or shave them, heck get the chemical hair remover made for chickens lol....
fun stuff!!!:twisted:

I think Jorge had a nice succinct answer. It is part of prep, before anything else is done. Removing a stray feather is removing a stray feather. regardless of how it is done. IF we call that cooking, then aren't we all illegal? - the feathers were removed with scalding water or steam as part of the processing. So applying heat to the bird could potentially have started the cooking process, yadda, yadda...:rolleyes::p

:tongue:Dan - not a dig at you, since I know you prefaced this question with winter bordem...:tongue:

At what point do we simply look to common sense to tell us vs. getting a ruling. If cooking is not the outcome, or the intent... why it is even in question? We need to have protections in place to avoid something like burning off a feather consuming board room time, right? If intent to defraud, cause some sort of malice, or provide an unfair advantage is the intent, then by all means put a rule in place to stop it... But for things such as this that seem so common sense, why would we cast any doubt?

Kinda like needing an "interpretation" of a rule that has been around forever. :cool:

Burn off a feather if you want, pluck or shave them, heck get the chemical hair remover made for chickens lol....
I wish I could remember who said it but the quote went something like "... because common sense is far less common than it used to be."

Well its definitely winter. Burning off pin feathers was a common practice for removing them. Although we have other methods now it is still an viable process for removing the pins. How it could ever been considered cooking is beyond me. The thing we seem to forget when debating these issues is INTENT. What is the intent? Pin feather burn quickly and you could easily burn the skin if you hesitate. By burn I mean char not render fat or crisp.

I think we just learned who the "Big Name Team" was that Ryan caught lighting their chicken. Looks like Andy's been holding out on me.

Hairy chicken is so good.

Better a hairy chicken than a hairy butt.

Back