View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Small Weber Pizza Mod

Inspired by martyleach's WGA pizza mod and lacking Marty's building skills, I decided to try a "pizza mod for dummies" on my WGA.

My goal was to make it easy to build, easy to remove, and try to keep the cost reasonable.

Here's what I came up with:

The 1/4" hex nuts are a snug fit between the bars on the WGA cooking grate so the set up is really pretty stable.

While the baking stones were heating up over some briquettes, I started prepping pizzas (about 8" diameter). Just some simple pepperoni & mushroom pies:

Checked the temp of the stones and found about a 200 degree difference in my stones with the bottom hotter than the top:

In my initial tests I found I needed a little more heat up top and could do with a little less on the bottom so I swap the stones right before putting the pizza on:

5-6 minutes in I rotate the pizza to account for any hot spots. Another 5-6 minutes and the pizza is done:

I made 5 pizzas total. Here's another one:

Once I was done cooking, I pulled out the raised CI grid and the stones to cool (yes, my stones look pretty ugly).

30 minutes later they were cool enough to hold with my hands:

I did this on my WGA but the approach should work fine on a Smokey Joe with some kind of raised round grid.

The cost for this mod was cheap for me (just the stainless hardware) as I already had the pizza stones and cast iron grid.

If I had to build this set up from scratch:

- 8 1/2" diameter baking stones from Amazon (Old Stone Oven 4444 Pizza for Two 8 1/2 Inch) - $27.79 (qualifies for free Super Saver shipping)
- cast iron grid from chargriller - $7.99 (not sure about shipping cost)
- SS Hex Nuts 1/4" - 20 size, qty 12 - $3.54 (from Home Depot)
- SS Washers 1/4", qty 12 - $2.36 (from HD)
- SS Machine Screws 1/4" - 20 x 3", qty 4, - $2.36 (from HD)

$44.04 before tax or any shipping charges. A pizza peel and pizza screens are very helpful as well but I don't really count them as part of the mod.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]

Last edited by R2Egg2Q; 09-11-2012 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: added link to Marty's WGA pizza mod thread
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->