2nd Attempt at Ribs this weekend

Cack

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My Plowboys come in yesterday, so I believe I'm going to give that a try on my next batch of ribs. I have my new coals, and ready to give her another shot. The first set was good, but didn't know a lot of tricks I have learned since. I think another part of the problem is I didn't let my coals completely warm up before I threw them on.

This time I'm going to let my coals get burning for about 30 minutes before I throw the ribs on, and then try the 3-1-1 method I've seen about on here.

I don't know what plowboys are but I'm glad you got yours.

I agree with the concept of letting your coals come to temp. Preheating in cooking, any cooking, is something that almost always improves results.

I've seen people spray their ribs with apple juice and other things while cooking. Any suggestions or is it not really needed? I have a pan in the bottom I fill with water

A spray of apple or cranberry juice at the end iwll add another layer of flavor, and if you use cranberry you get a nice hit of color as well. Wait until the end. Not the very end but near the end of the cook so that the flavors meld, you know.

My experience is if I don't foil I will spray with something. The first bunch of times I did ribs they were great. Then I hit a patch where they were a little dry. But that is bbq. Sometimes the meat is just different. The fun part is experimenting. Choose how you want to cook them and do it that way without double thinking it during the cook. I've never made any bbq that wasn't edible........except brisket :icon_blush:.

No need to juice if you are wrapping after three hours. Just make sure you put juice or some sort of liquid in the foil. I agree with fnbish, give it a try and see what you like and don't like. There is always a next time.

No need to juice if you are wrapping after three hours. Just make sure you put juice or some sort of liquid in the foil. I agree with fnbish, give it a try and see what you like and don't like. There is always a next time.

What type of juice in the foil? I don't think I've seen/heard to put any kind of liquid in the foil with it.

I usually use apple, cranberry is a nice switch or a good pale ale gives a great profile. it helps steam the ribs for fall off the bone greatness.

My issue with 3-1-1 and foilling with liquid, is that the ribs will often cook completely fall off the bone (TOO fall of the bone), and they are difficult to put back on the rack after unfoiling without breaking apart. What am I doing wrong?

Yeah what Butcher said: Just spray them pretty heavy when you put them in the foil. I use mix of apple juice with a touch of cider vinegar. Some people put brown sugar, honey or parkay in there as well. I would suggest keeping it simple at first then go from there.

My issue with 3-1-1 and foilling with liquid, is that the ribs will often cook completely fall off the bone (TOO fall of the bone), and they are difficult to put back on the rack after unfoiling without breaking apart. What am I doing wrong?

Could be using to much liquid. Make sure you put the liquid in the bottom of the foil and do not pour it on the ribs. How high is your temp?

3-1-1 can be too long especially if you are doing st. louis spares.

Many have better results with 2-1-.30

I would say your leaving them in too long. 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 or 3-2-1 or 3-1.5-.5 whatever your method is it's only a guideline. Trial and error you just need to figure out what works best for your temps and your smoker. Last time that happened to me I knew right away what happened...I left them in foil too long.

Could be using to much liquid. Make sure you put the liquid in the bottom of the foil and do not pour it on the ribs. How high is your temp?

Crap. Am I inadvertantly hijacking this thread? Apologies. I'm typically in the 225-250 range for my ribs, but I'm wondering if I'm getting incorrect temp readings now. How much liquid do you typically foil with?

Crap. Am I inadvertantly hijacking this thread? Apologies. I'm typically in the 225-250 range for my ribs, but I'm wondering if I'm getting incorrect temp readings now. How much liquid do you typically foil with?

Not a problem at all. The more random information the better. :thumb:

Ok so just get some Apply Juice and put on the bottom of the foil under the bones?

3-1-1 can be too long especially if you are doing st. louis spares.

Many have better results with 2-1-.30

They're Baby Backs ... although I may want to do St Louis style in honor of my Cardinals

Back